1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Other What are you reading now? (STEM only)

1. Jan 29, 2018 #101

ISamson

Gold Member

2. Feb 2, 2018 #102
    Donald Johanson, Lucy's Legacy: 2009 Lots of books on this subject but this one is from the horses mouth (one of them anyway)

3. Feb 2, 2018 #103
    I've been working through Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics by Robert Zwanzig one of the limited number of books on the subject.

4. Feb 5, 2018 #104

DrDu

Science Advisor

5. Feb 7, 2018 #105

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Currently working on "Interacting Systems far from Equilibrium: Quantum Kinetic Theory" (Klaus Morawetz).

6. Feb 7, 2018 #106

Demystifier

Science Advisor

7. Feb 8, 2018 #107

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

8. Feb 9, 2018 #108

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Can you send me a copy of H. Chiung, The History of Time Travel (Mars University Press, Mars City, 2410)?

9. Feb 9, 2018 #109
    I'm reading Robert Ghrist's Elementary Applied Topology.

10. Feb 10, 2018 #110

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I'm rereading S. S. Schweber, QED and the men who made it

11. Feb 14, 2018 #111
    I am reading now "Computers Ltd.: What They Really Can't Do" by David Harel.

12. Feb 16, 2018 #112
    Just finished:
    1) Quantum Mechanics and Experience, by David Z Albert
    2) The Illustrated A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking

13. Apr 12, 2018 #113
    Just reading
    Physics from Symmetry - 2nd (corrected) edition.
    I couldn`t resist 50% price reduction for all physics ebooks offered by Springer through April 24.

14. Apr 22, 2018 #114

Demystifier

Science Advisor

15. Apr 22, 2018 #115
  16. Apr 23, 2018 #116
    Feynman lectures volume 2

17. May 3, 2018 #117
    1) Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is a satirical novella by the English schoolmaster Edwin Abbott Abbott, first published in 1884 by Seeley & Co. of London.
    Very interesting thought provoking historical novel that illustrates creation of higher dimensions.

2) Hyperspace: Our Final Frontier by John Gribbin © 2001
    Just a little outdated because of all the new cosmological data out since 2001.

18. May 25, 2018 #118
    Just finished "Letters to a Young Mathematician" by Ian Stewart. Fictional correspondences to an aspiring math student from her mentor from HS through a tenured university position. What math is and why it is worth doing. Advice on challenges and how to succeed with some of the mentors personal experiences in those regards. Also a good read for aspiring physicists. Delightful!

19. Jun 3, 2018 #119
    The curious lives of human cadavers by Mary roach.

20. Jun 3, 2018 #120
  21. Jun 5, 2018 #121

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

22. Jun 5, 2018 #122
    How To Lie With Statistics by Darrell Huff

23. Jun 5, 2018 #123
    Just finished (and recommendable):
    - The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World, by Peter Wohlleben (link)
    - Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari (link)

Reading right now (and recommendable):
    - Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness, by Peter Godfrey-Smith (link)
    - This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society, by Kathleen McAuliffe (link)

Thinking about reading in the near future:
    - She Has Her Mother's Laugh: The Powers, Perversions, and Potential of Heredity, by Carl Zimmer (link)
    - Human Errors: A Panorama of Our Glitches, from Pointless Bones to Broken Genes, by Nathan H. Lents (link)
    - Minds Make Societies: How Cognition Explains the World Humans Create, by Pascal Boyer (link)

If anybody could recommend (or discourage) these above three 'want to reads', or recommend a new book that would lie within my broad field of interest, that would be much appreciated! :wink:

I'm also interested in the (Kopenhagen) interpretation of quantum mechanics. Should I read:
    - Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes, by Alex Vilenkin (link), or
    - Many Worlds? Everett, Quantum Theory, and Reality by Simon Saunders (link), or something else?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  24. Jun 5, 2018 #124

Demystifier

Science Advisor

The first book is not about interpretations of QM.
    The second book is about an interpretation of QM, but not about the Copenhagen interpretation.

25. Jun 5, 2018 #125
    Artin: Abstract Algebra.
    Shilov: Elementary Real and Complex Analysis.
    Sterling berberian: Linear Algebra.
    Feynman: Surely you're Joking.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted