Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are your hobbies? (Include pictures please)

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    So here are a few things I do when I am not working or doing homework.
    Eat Kimchi stew:smile:
    1111011441.jpg

Work on the truck.
    0603011903a.jpg

And wheeling with my buddies.
    6887914368_14d0e5a591_b.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

where to start...

My Amateur Radio activities, extend over some 32 yrs, keep me reasonably busy with hilltop expeditions to do microwave comms with other guys on distant hilltops.....

attachment.php?attachmentid=48201&stc=1&d=1339320637.jpg

from left to right.... grey dish - 10 GHz, top right - silver dish 24GHz
    below that small gridpac 5.8GHz and to right of it the larger gridpac - 2.4 GHz

My astronomy has been around a bit longer, more than 40 yrs I started with a small spotting scope and as the years went by aperture fever took hold and the scopes got progressively larger. This is my current toy - a Celectron CPC9.25

attachment.php?attachmentid=48202&stc=1&d=1339321115.jpg

Have been into geology also since I was a kid with meteorite, mineral and fossil collections
    one practical aspect of my geology activities is the recording of earthquakes.
    Here is a pic of the long period sensor....

attachment.php?attachmentid=48204&stc=1&d=1339321346.jpg

My deep interest in electronics has not only provided me with employment since I left school, but it has also linked many of my hobby interests together

cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I listen to a lot of classical music (baroque up to 21st century). The racks in the picture below hold about half of my CD collection, which I'm gradually ripping to iTunes.

knottypine.jpg

I also chase trains and streetcars (trams).

attachment.php?attachmentid=26064&d=1275107562.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=25803&d=1274013787.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=48224&d=1339382827.jpg

(my beard is whiter now, and I've put on some weight. :frown:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  5. Jun 10, 2012 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5

The decorations in your home, what kind of theme are you shooting for? Your house looks warm and comforting. And boy those are a lot of CD's you got there!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
  7. Jun 10, 2012 #6
  8. Jun 10, 2012 #7

Astronuc

I'm a railfan, but more on the freight side. During university, and couple of buddies and I used to speed along back roads of Texas chasing ATSF, BN, UP, SP and MP, or we'd find a freight yard and hang out shoot pictures of what passed through. I have an extensive collection of tank car slides.

I also collected brass locomotives.

9. Jun 10, 2012 #8
    He makes them with his own two hands! Excellent work, phinds!

10. Jun 10, 2012 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

11. Jun 10, 2012 #10
    My hobbies are photography and painting. I don't have any pictures though.

12. Jun 10, 2012 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh the irony! :Fe:

13. Jun 10, 2012 #12
    I watch billy herrington videos, read textbooks, write amateur textbooks and... I dunno, that's about it - I'm a pretty boring guy :blushing:

14. Jun 10, 2012 #13

jtbell

Actually only that room and the kitchen which is off to the right, are like that, with the wooden paneling. They were that way when we bought the house, and one reason why we were attracted to it (the other reasons being a great price and a location within walking distance of where we work). The knicknack shelves on the walls were left behind by the original owner, but the CD racks and the other furniture are ours. I don't think we bought any new furniture for that room except the CD racks. The table and chairs used to belong to my mother-in-law.

The other rooms have plain off-white walls that we've decorated with pictures etc. And more CD racks. :blushing:

15. Jun 11, 2012 #14

I gather your hobbies include trolling random forums online?

I don't have any pictures, but I run (half-)marathons and practice often. I'm also learning to cook; this has been a pleasant experience so far.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  16. Jun 11, 2012 #15
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Jun 11, 2012 #16
    At the moment my two main hobbies are trying to learn as much about physics as I can (I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to school and study physics),
    and trying to teach myself Mac OS X Cocoa GUI programming (never has there been a topic more vexing). I'd include pictures, but they'd mostly just be screenshots and I'm not allowed to post links yet anyway.

18. Jun 11, 2012 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Grilling/smoking.

chargriller.jpg

Hanging out with my dog.

cake.jpg

Astronomy (That's my former neighbor, not me)

scope-1.jpg

Gardening is not really a hobby, but a necessity. Don't want to use up our retirement savings buying food that I could grow here.

greenacres.jpg

Making pickles and salsas - this is a small sample of what I do every year.

smallcupboard.jpg

Fly-fishing for brookies.

trout.jpg

I have sold off my old Wide-Glide (because of poor balance due to a stroke) but hopping this up was my favorite hobby for a long while. Luckily, my wife tolerated having a torn-down carb, etc, on the kitchen table so I could do rebuilds in cold weather. Hey, I used layers of newspapers!!

WG2.jpg

19. Jun 11, 2012 #18
    Those pickles are making my mouth water turbo. Also awesome woods outside your house!!

20. Jun 11, 2012 #19

turbo

Gold Member

My mouse is waddling, too. I might have to open another jar.

21. Jun 11, 2012 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Huh, hobbies... That would mean doing something besides work?

I'm too busy trying to build my kingdom right now. No time for hobbies besides spending a little time goofing off at PF.

Does talking with beautiful women count? I like to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook