What Basic Derivative Rule Is Responsible For This?

• Thread starter DocZaius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the sum/difference rule and its application in finding the derivative of a function. It is noted that the sum/difference rule is the basis for this logic and can be used to easily find the derivative of a function."
DocZaius
If:

[tex]a(x)=b(x)-c(x)[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\frac{da}{dx}=\frac{db}{dx}-\frac{dc}{dx}[/tex]

Please note that the sum/difference rule is not directly invoked since it talks about a derivative of a sum/difference being equal to the sum/difference of the derivatives. It could very well be the basis for this logic, although I don't see it offhand. And of course, this is not a homework question. I came across this logic today and was surprised I could use it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It certainly is the sum-difference rule. When you compute a'(x) on the left you are asking for (b(x) - c(x))' on the right, which, by the difference rule is b'(x) - a'(x).

Ah yes! Thank you. All I had to do was write "d(b-c)" instead of "da" and I would have seen it immediately.

What is the basic derivative rule?

The basic derivative rule is the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is equal to n*x^(n-1). This rule is used to find the derivative of a polynomial function.

How do you use the power rule to find a derivative?

To use the power rule, you simply take the exponent of the variable, multiply it by the coefficient, and then decrease the exponent by 1. For example, if you have the function f(x) = 2x^3, the derivative would be f'(x) = 6x^2.

What other derivative rules exist?

There are several other derivative rules, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used for more complex functions that cannot be solved using the power rule alone.

What types of functions can the power rule be used for?

The power rule can be used for polynomial functions, which are functions that can be written as a sum of terms, each containing a variable raised to a whole number exponent. It can also be used for rational functions, which are functions that are expressed as a ratio of two polynomial functions.

Why is the power rule important?

The power rule is important because it is one of the most fundamental derivative rules and is used to find the derivatives of many common functions. It is also a building block for more complex derivative rules and is essential for understanding the concept of differentiation in calculus.