Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Battery did Marty Cooper use in 1973?

1. Apr 25, 2017 #1
    Hello, lovely people. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of battery Marty Cooper used for the very first cell (mobile) phone call in 1973? I know that by the 80s they were using Nickel-Cadmium batteries but I don't know about that first one.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2017 #2

RonL

Gold Member

I would almost bet good money that it was a lead acid made by Harker batteries :smile: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

4. Apr 25, 2017 #3

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Apr 25, 2017 #4
    I read an article that said that they were produced since 1946 (in a Scientific American from 1948) however, Marty Cooper complained that his battery weighed 1 pound. 10 years later, the whole system weighed 1 pound so his battery must have gotten significantly smaller. Thanks

6. Apr 25, 2017 #5

RonL

Gold Member

Well I tried to google Harker batteries and it seems the best google can do is give a batteries plus in Harker Hights, Tx. A big surprise for me. :wideeyed:

7. Apr 25, 2017 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Martin Cooper is still alive. You should try to contact him to ask your question.

8. Apr 26, 2017 #7
    May not have been rechargeable. They did not become popular until later.

9. Apr 26, 2017 #8

RonL

Gold Member

Almost 24 hours later I finally find some information, (I would have lost my bet I think :frown:) after at least 15 years in my shop (unmolested) I had to find one of my batteries and I'm still not sure if a history goes back into the 70's ? The following link seems to be the batteries I have.

http://www.enersys-emea.com/reserve/pdf/EN-CYC-AM-007_1208.pdf

To my surprise it looks as if the single cell is still good and will take/hold a charge. :woot:
    Not that this post will mean much to most people, but to me it means lead acid batteries have value that most have been taught no longer exist ?:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted