1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What book to use to get familiar with the epsilon-delta stuff?

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1
    What book do you recommend to use to get familiar with definitions that usually contain the phrase “given any positive epsilon, however small, delta can be found such that . . .”:wink:thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2013 #2
    If I could go back I'd learn from Spivak, Calculus.

4. Aug 4, 2013 #3

verty

Homework Helper

There are many ways to answer this question.

Here are two cheap books that would give you a rather complete understanding. The first is more conceptual while the second includes multivariable topics. Both assume that you know calculus. But to get value from these, you'll probably need a logic or proof book as well as some dedication.

Without doing the whole proof thing, I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll let others who are more familiar with the calculus books that are out there answer.

Books:
    https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Analysis-Dover-Books-Mathematics/dp/0486650383/ref=pd_sim_b_6
    https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Calculus-Dover-Books-Mathematics/dp/0486457958/ref=pd_sim_b_13

PS. I should add that I interpret "get familiar with definitions that use epsilon and delta" to mean, getting familiar with the definitions, understanding them in the context of the theory of calculus.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Aug 5, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Regarding Spivak's book, I quote what I wrote in the more recent thread:

6. Aug 5, 2013 #5
    I learned the concept from spivak. It took me a very long time to understand the concept of a limit. However once I really got it it was surprisingly easy to apply the concept in more general settings (metric spaces, measure theory, etc).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted