Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics What can a fresh EU physics graduate do in the UK?

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    I've been searching for msc/msc+phd funding in the UK for quite a while but it seems the most I can obtain is a tuition waiver as I don't meet the residency requirements for a living stipend of any sort (3 years in the UK). Consequently I am reconsidering my career options upon graduating and thinking of just getting a job (next year, which I hope to do complete in the UK (ICL) as an erasmus student if funding permits). What can I do as a EU national in the UK as a recent physics graduate, with no prior technical work experience? What kind of jobs are available to me? I do not have programming experience (though I will be taking a fortran/mathematica/matlab based computational physics course this year), but I have some minor know-how with mathematica and Origin.

My ultimate goal is to meet the requirements for full msc funding or enroll in a msc part-time, and possibly consider a phd afterwards, but everything right now seems to indicate I should concentrate on making a stable living. I don't really have any financial support to further my education.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2
  4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    I have, and have looked at a few other institutions that offer msc's in English (mainly the ones my uni has an erasmus agreement with, such as Copenhagen), but the problem is the same: no living stipend for non-nationals, only tuition waivers for EU students in the best of cases.

I should've added that I'm also set on emigrating to work in the UK, msc or no msc.

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4
    Physics graduates in the UK generally go into accountancy, finance, consulting and investment banking (only if it's at a target university though). Check Unistats (Google it) as it gives a fairly accurate breakdown of what physics graduates form each university go into.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook