What can I consider 'fundamental definitions'?

• Thread starter oddjobmj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of fundamental definitions in solving problems related to the motion of a satellite in orbit. The question arises about what is considered a fundamental definition and whether certain relationships can be classified as such. It is suggested to ask the professor for clarification on the meaning of "fundamental definitions" in this context.
oddjobmj
What are considered fundamental definitions? For context, a question was posed where the prof. provided parametric equations for the motion of a satellite in orbit and said that we can use the provided equations, fundamental definitions, and no other equations to solve the problems.

What does that mean?

I thought I had an idea of what that meant but a part of the question asks for us to solve for momentum but none of the parametric equations contain momentum explicitly which means we have to use -some other relationship- to introduce momentum to the system of equations. So, I thought I would pose that question here and see what you guys think.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if the problem asks for "momentum", the definition of momentum would be pretty fundamental wouldn't it?

Likes 1 person
Absolutely, but that doesn't help me work out what relationships are fundamental. I say this because if we suppose that all relationship that are necessary to solve the problem are fundamental we get nowhere because even then I can't know which are fundamental until I know how to solve the problem. Is it truly this arbitrary or is there some sort of distinction that I can use to at least make a reasonable argument that something is fundamental?

I'd ask your professor exactly what they mean by "fundamental definitions". Our opinions here could be entirely different from what he actually meant.

Likes 1 person

Fundamental definitions refer to the basic principles or concepts that form the foundation of a particular field of study. In the context of a scientific problem, fundamental definitions would include key equations or laws that govern the behavior of the system being studied. These definitions are essential for understanding and solving problems within that field.

In the case of a satellite in orbit, the fundamental definitions would likely include Newton's laws of motion, the law of universal gravitation, and the equations for circular motion. These concepts are necessary for understanding the behavior of the satellite and can be used to solve problems related to its motion.

However, as you mentioned, the problem of solving for momentum may require the use of additional relationships or equations. This is because momentum is not explicitly included in the fundamental definitions for the motion of a satellite. In this case, we may need to use the concept of conservation of momentum or other related equations to introduce momentum into the system and solve the problem.

In summary, fundamental definitions are the basic principles and equations that form the foundation of a scientific field and are necessary for understanding and solving problems within that field.

1. What exactly are fundamental definitions?

Fundamental definitions refer to the basic concepts or ideas that form the foundation of a particular field of study. These definitions are essential for understanding and building upon more complex theories and concepts within the field.

2. How do fundamental definitions differ from other types of definitions?

Fundamental definitions are distinct from other types of definitions, such as operational or descriptive definitions, because they are considered to be the most essential and fundamental concepts within a field. They are often used as starting points for further exploration and development of theories and ideas.

3. Who determines what is considered a fundamental definition?

The determination of what is considered a fundamental definition can vary depending on the specific field of study. In some cases, these definitions may be widely accepted by the scientific community, while in others they may be subject to ongoing debate and refinement.

4. Can fundamental definitions change over time?

Yes, fundamental definitions can change over time as new discoveries and advancements are made within a field. As our understanding of a particular concept deepens, the fundamental definition may be revised or expanded to incorporate new information.

5. How important are fundamental definitions in scientific research?

Fundamental definitions play a crucial role in scientific research as they provide a common foundation for communication and understanding within a field. They also serve as a starting point for further exploration and development of theories and ideas, making them essential for the advancement of scientific knowledge.