What can we learn from a year-long Mars isolation experiment in Hawaii?

  • Topic: NASA 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dr.Physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mars Nasa
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Dr.Physics
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I am very interested in the Astronautical area of science; however I am still in high school so I don't get a lot of time to read up on the latest news about this future mission. This is why I am eager to be filled in on the latest news about the mission. I am looking to know about the participants, the technology and the plan NASA have devised to reach this impressive feat. Could you guys help me get back up to date on the latest news?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr.Physics said:
I am very interested in the Astronautical area of science; however I am still in high school so I don't get a lot of time to read up on the latest news about this future mission.

LOL, you will find that your free time decreases as you go through college and your first few jobs. You should have plenty of time for extra reading in high school. :smile: Even playing 4 sports I was able to read a bunch... :biggrin:
 
Thank you for your help, these links have been a very informative on the matter and now feel like I am more up-to-date with the Mars manned mission.
Also I usually have the time to keep up to date on this sort of stuff, however I have been really busy this year as it is my last year of high school and I want to maximise my grades to ensure my entry into the courses I want to study in university.
Thank you Greg Bernhardt, berkeman and Astronuc for all your help!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not aerospace technology, but rather the "human factor" side of long-duration spaceflight.

One year and counting: Mars isolation experiment begins
http://news.yahoo.com/long-mars-isolation-experiment-starting-hawaii-212900729.html

The exterior of the HI-SEAS habitat on the northern slope of Mauna Loa in Hawaii is seen in this March 10, 2015 image, courtesy of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. From an astronomical perspective, they should be able to get good views of stars at night.