What causes a spark (Eletricity)

• Thread starter Googl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spark
In summary, the book states that the magnitude of sparks produced at the spark gap during transmission was greater when electromagnetic radiation (Ultraviolet) was being projected towards the spark gap.
Googl
Hi all,

I am currently reading a book that tries to compare Hertz transmission and reception of radio waves with the photoelectric effect. (I am aware that Hertz discovered the photoelectric effect and what it is although not why it occurs).

The book states that; the magnitude of sparks produced at the spark gap during transmission was greater when electromagnetic radiation (Ultraviolet) was being projected towards the spark gap.

So now I hope you can see my need to understand what causes a spark. I have searched the web but too many suggestions left me confused. So I was wondering whether someone might be able to help.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Googl said:
Hi all,

I am currently reading a book that tries to compare Hertz transmission and reception of radios with photoelectric. (I am aware that Hertz discovered the photoelectric effect and what it is although not why it occurs).

The book states that; the magnitude of sparks produced at the spark gap during transmission was greater when electromagnetic radiation (Ultraviolet) was being projected towards the spark gap.

So now I hope you can see my need to understand what causes a spark. I have search the web but too many suggestions left me confused. So I was wondering whether someone might be able to help.

Thank you.

You actually are mixing, and probably confusing, two separate phenomena here.

One is the photoelectric effect, the other is your "spark". They are two different things, even though when combined, the photoelectric effect can "enhance" the formation of such sparks.

A spark, or breakdown phenomena in air, is often thought to be initiated by a "field emission". This is where, when a surface is under a high electric field, an electron (typically a conduction electron in a metal) tunnels through the surface barrier, escapes from the bulk material, and then ionizes the air molecules to cause a "cascade" effect. This sets up a transient plasma and bam! You see a spark.

Now, this "barrier" that the electron has to tunnel through is associated with something called the "work function". This is where we connect to the photoelectric effect. If while all this tunneling is going on, and you shine a light on the surface, even if this light has energy less than the work function, what it is doing is it is "assisting" some of the electrons to be in energy states closer to the vacuum state. When that happens, these electrons will have LESS of a barrier to tunnel through, and thus, increase the probability of field emission. Consequently, you tend to get more sparks, or sparks can occur more easily.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You actually are mixing, and probably confusing, two separate phenomena here.

One is the photoelectric effect, the other is your "spark". They are two different things, even though when combined, the photoelectric effect can "enhance" the formation of such sparks.

A spark, or breakdown phenomena in air, is often thought to be initiated by a "field emission". This is where, when a surface is under a high electric field, an electron (typically a conduction electron in a metal) tunnels through the surface barrier, escapes from the bulk material, and then ionizes the air molecules to cause a "cascade" effect. This sets up a transient plasma and bam! You see a spark.

Now, this "barrier" that the electron has to tunnel through is associated with something called the "work function". This is where we connect to the photoelectric effect. If while all this tunneling is going on, and you shine a light on the surface, even if this light has energy less than the work function, what it is doing is it is "assisting" some of the electrons to be in energy states closer to the vacuum state. When that happens, these electrons will have LESS of a barrier to tunnel through, and thus, increase the probability of field emission. Consequently, you tend to get more sparks, or sparks can occur more easily.

Zz.

Thanks a lot. You've helped a lot.

What is a spark?

A spark is a visible discharge of light and heat caused by a sudden flow of electricity through a gap or insulating material. It is a form of electrical discharge that typically occurs between two conductors.

What causes a spark to occur?

A spark is caused by a sudden flow of electricity, usually due to a difference in electrical potential (voltage) between two objects. When there is a high enough voltage difference, the electrons in the air molecules become excited and jump from one object to another, creating a spark.

What materials can create a spark?

Any material that can conduct electricity can create a spark. This includes metals, water, and even living organisms. Insulating materials, such as rubber or plastic, can also create sparks if they are rubbed together or quickly separated.

What factors affect the size and strength of a spark?

The size and strength of a spark can be affected by several factors, including the voltage difference between objects, the distance between the objects, and the type of material the spark is passing through. The temperature and humidity of the air can also play a role in the size and strength of a spark.

Can sparks be dangerous?

Yes, sparks can be dangerous, especially if they occur in an environment with flammable materials. In some cases, sparks can cause fires or explosions. It is important to take precautions and follow safety protocols when working with electricity to prevent sparks and potential hazards.