What causes alternating patterns in the graph of tan(x)/cos(x)?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AdrianHudson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
AdrianHudson
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
I just recently discovered for myself this weird graph, can anyone explain to me what is exactly happening here. I realize there are a couple asymptotes but I am confused on when when y<0 the "legs" of the graph converge on another asymptote it looks like the tan(x) is just repeated but flipped so it goes:
Normal tan(x) look then the second one will be tan(x) with a flip on the y-axis then it goes back to the normal tan(x) graph. Weird. Care to explain what's happens?

P.S sorry about if this is in the wrong section :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org