What Causes Thermal Radiation to Be Emitted by Matter?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CuriousME
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fundamentals Radiation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CuriousME
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello Everyone,

Recently, I was trying to explain the fundamentals of thermal radiation to a non-engineer and I discovered that I myself have a poor understanding of it. I understand that "thermal radiation is continuously emitted by all matter whose temperature is above absolute temperature." However, I do not understand who or what is causing these electromagnetic waves to be emitted. According to my textbook [HEAT TRANSFER: A Practical Approach, 2nd ed.], "accelerated charges or changing electric currents give rises to electric and magnetic fields. These rapidly moving fields are called electromagnetic waves or electromagnetic radiation, and they represent the energy emitted by matter as a result of the changes in the electronic configurations of atoms or molecules." In layman's terms, what does this really mean? When atoms heat up, they bounce around faster and faster and produce more and more electromagnetic waves? Why does bouncing around create electromagnetic waves anyway?

I suppose that I was too busy trying to solve partial differential equations to think of these kinds of questions in college. There was no time to think or ponder. This seems to be the trend as I try to go back and relearn subjects. I gave all the right answers on the tests, but I think I missed some of the more important fundamentals. Those were not on the tests.

Thank you all in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm only specutaling here, since this is not in my field of expertise.

The heat radiation emitted from objects is correlative to the speed and intensity of its movement, this makes the object exert more intense and more energetic waves of radiation. This correlation can also be put together through friction, like when two particles collide, they send out radiation.

Again; I'm just speculating here, as it is not my field of expertise.
 
From the textbook, "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot;

When a solid body is heated - for example, by an induction coil - the surface of the solid emits radiation of wavelength primarily in the range 0.1 to 10 microns. Such radiation is usually referred to as thermal radiation. A quantitative description of the atomic and molecular mechanisms by which the radiation is produced is given by quantum mechanics.

Thanks
Matt