Thermal radiation in transparent objects

In summary, objects emit thermal radiation and the sun emits waves in a certain electromagnetic spectrum. Glass is transparent to thermal radiation and UV and other radiations are mainly absorbed by the atmosphere. In a hypothetical scenario, the sun cannot transmit energy to glass, causing the glass to emit energy and potentially lower its temperature. However, this is not possible as the glass is not a black body and does not emit as efficiently as one. Additionally, if the system has not reached equilibrium, objects can cool.
dRic2
Every objects emit thermal radiation. Now consider this case: Sun emits waves in a certian electromagneic spectrum (UV + thermal radiation + ecc...); glass is transparent to thermal radiation that usually reach Earth's surface. UV and other radiations are mainly absorbed by Ozone and other gasses in the atmosphere thus (in a hypotetical scenario) Sun can not transmit energy to glass. SO the piece of glass, which is emitting energy, should be lowering his temperature. It is obviusly not possible, but what did I miss?

Science news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
Every objects emit thermal radiation. Now consider this case: Sun emits waves in a certian electromagneic spectrum (UV + thermal radiation + ecc...); glass is transparent to thermal radiation that usually reach Earth's surface. UV and other radiations are mainly absorbed by Ozone and other gasses in the atmosphere thus (in a hypotetical scenario) Sun can not transmit energy to glass. SO the piece of glass, which is emitting energy, should be lowering his temperature. It is obviusly not possible, but what did I miss?
If an object can radiate at a certain wavelength then equally it can absorb at that wavelength.
My understanding is that most glass does absorb IR quite well, but not equally across the IR band.

Ok but if an object A emits radiations F and G (let's call them that way to make it simple) and I place two objects (B and C) in front of him such as B absord F and is transparent to G and C is trasparent to G, how can the radiations of A reach the object C? I think it can not. But C is emetting too so it may get cooler (nonsense).

dRic2 said:
Ok but if an object A emits radiations F and G (let's call them that way to make it simple) and I place two objects (B and C) in front of him such as B absord F and is transparent to G and C is trasparent to G, how can the radiations of A reach the object C? I think it can not. But C is emetting too so it may get cooler (nonsense).
Why is it nonsense? If the system has not reached equilibrium then C can cool.
Here's a simpler example: object A only emits/absorbs in band a, the enclosing shell B only emits/absorbs in the disjoint band b. If there is no conduction then each behaves as though the other does not exist. The equilibrium temperature of A will depend on the background radiation in band a beyond the shell.

Likes dRic2
dRic2 said:
Every objects emit thermal radiation.
Careful here. A piece of glass is NOT a black body. It will not emit as efficiently as a black body at the same temperature.

A black body is an ideal absorber, but it is also a perfect emitter. Any gray body or white body will both absorb and emit less completely.

Last edited:
Dale said:
Careful here. A piece of glass is NOT a black body. It will not emit as efficiently as a black body at the same temperature.

A black body is an ideal absorber, but it is also a perfect emitter. Any gray body or white body will both absorb and emit less completely.

Yeah, but There is no need for this here I think.

haruspex said:
Why is it nonsense? If the system has not reached equilibrium then C can cool.
Here's a simpler example: object A only emits/absorbs in band a, the enclosing shell B only emits/absorbs in the disjoint band b. If there is no conduction then each behaves as though the other does not exist. The equilibrium temperature of A will depend on the background radiation in band a beyond the shell.

Yes, you're right, I was Just thinking a very strange complicated thing (that I won't explain because It would be very hard) but I realized It is not possibile, so now everything fits in place

1. What is thermal radiation in transparent objects?

Thermal radiation in transparent objects refers to the process by which heat is transferred through a material that allows light to pass through it. This type of radiation occurs when the molecules in the material absorb and emit infrared radiation, which is a form of electromagnetic energy.

2. How does thermal radiation in transparent objects differ from conduction and convection?

Thermal radiation is different from conduction and convection because it does not require direct contact or movement of molecules to transfer heat. Instead, it can occur through empty space, making it the primary method of heat transfer in vacuum environments.

3. What factors affect the rate of thermal radiation in transparent objects?

The rate of thermal radiation in transparent objects is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the material, its surface area, and its emissivity, which is a measure of how well a material can absorb and emit radiation. The type of material and its transparency also play a role in the rate of thermal radiation.

4. Is thermal radiation in transparent objects always harmful?

No, thermal radiation in transparent objects is not always harmful. In fact, thermal radiation is a natural process that occurs in all objects, including living organisms. However, exposure to high levels of thermal radiation, such as from the sun or intense heat sources, can be dangerous and cause burns or other health issues.

5. How is thermal radiation in transparent objects used in everyday life?

Thermal radiation in transparent objects has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity, in thermal imaging cameras to detect heat signatures, and in cooking through the use of infrared ovens and grills. Additionally, thermal radiation is also used in industries such as manufacturing and transportation for heating and drying processes.