Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What chemical should I use to etch away tin?

1. Dec 3, 2017 #1
    I am having difficulty in finding a solution that can etch away tin compounds in my metallic surface. The metallic surface has a composition of palladium, copper, and silver. There is a tin compound deposited on the surface which I would like to etch away or remove. This is on a microscopic level. Please help me. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, and you're welcome in advance. :smile:

So can you say more about your project please? What is your plan for Hazmat disposal of the end products of your process? What volume are we talking about? Micrograms or gallons?

What have you found in your reading so far? Can you share the MSDS documents that you've found so far for the prospective chemicals for your project?

4. Dec 3, 2017 #3

berkeman

I see from your New Member Introduction post that you are a professional working ChemE. Welcome That means you are familiar with MSDS considerations, and I'm looking forward to your relply. Thanks.

5. Dec 6, 2017 #4
    Hello! This is a microscopic view. I have a wire made up of Palladium, Copper, and Silver. There is a dirt on the wire surface made up of tin compound. I want to remove it using a certain chemical that can etch all the tin compounds away so my wire is dirt free. Can you suggest me chemicals to use? Thanks. and sorry for the late reply. :)

6. Dec 6, 2017 #5
    With regards to Hazmat disposal, since it is only a microscale. The chemicals that will be disposed will only be poured in a reagent container for waste. or it depends on the chemical that I will be using on how to dispose it properly, or if there is needed any additional processes to safely discharge it to the environment. :)

7. Dec 6, 2017 #6

berkeman

Thanks for your replies and clarification. I think I will page @Borek to help with your question... :smile:

8. Dec 6, 2017 #7
    Thank you so much @berkeman ! Looking forward to hearing from all of you. :)

9. Dec 7, 2017 #8

Borek

Do you know what tin compound it can be?

10. Dec 7, 2017 #9

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you use mild abrasive cleaning ?

11. Dec 8, 2017 #10
  12. Dec 9, 2017 #11

Borek

Tin oxide can be soluble in strong bases, that should be safe for your other metals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted