What chemicals are in generic 2 cycle motor oil?

In summary, there is no complete list available for the specific chemicals found in off-the-shelf generic 2 cycle oils. The best sources for this information would be the API or the refinery themselves, though it is unlikely they will disclose it. Generally, 90% of the oil is made up of base oil, which is usually mineral oil but can also include vegetable oils or synthetic compounds. The remaining 10% is composed of additives such as anti-oxidants, viscosity improvers, anti-wear compounds, corrosion inhibitors, and more. Ash is also added for engines that produce a lot of soot. The composition of 2 stroke oils may vary depending on the intended use, such as for small engines or large power generation units
  • #1
manhattan1nyc
Does anyone have a list of the specific chemicals that are in off the shelf generic 2 cycle oils? Much appriciation if someone can give me an accurate list. Willing to compensate for an accurate list of chemicals and their chemical formulas.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Firstly, the only place you'll get accurate information is the API or the refinery themselves. Both unlikely to give out complete compositions.

Typically, 90% of the make-up is base oil. This is generally mineral oil; hydrocarbon fractions of crude, for bog-standard off-the-shelf variants. Some oils will use vegetable oils or synthetic compounds (esters, polyolefins, fluorocarbons) for the base oil.

The remaining 10% is made up of additives. This is mostly where oil differs in composition depending on the designated application. Additives will include anti-oxidants, viscosity improvers, anti-wear compounds, corrosion inhibitors, anti-foaming agents, detergents, ZDDP, and emulsifiers. Ash will be added for sooty burning engines. Diesel and 2-stroke oils have a high ash content to 'mop up' the soot.


Now, when you ask about 2 stroke oils, do you mean the sort used in little whizz-bang engines (garden strimmers, lawnmowers etc) or large power generation/marine units?
 
  • #3
Thanks

Thanks brewnog you've actually been very helpful and pointed me in the right direction.
 

Related to What chemicals are in generic 2 cycle motor oil?

1. What is the main ingredient in generic 2 cycle motor oil?

The main ingredient in generic 2 cycle motor oil is typically a type of mineral or synthetic oil. This type of oil is designed to provide lubrication and protect the engine from wear and tear.

2. Are there any harmful chemicals in generic 2 cycle motor oil?

Generic 2 cycle motor oil may contain some potentially harmful chemicals, such as zinc, phosphorus, and sulfur. However, these chemicals are typically present in very small amounts and are necessary for the oil to function effectively in a 2 cycle engine.

3. Can generic 2 cycle motor oil damage my engine?

If used as directed, generic 2 cycle motor oil should not cause any damage to your engine. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for oil type and frequency of oil changes to ensure optimal engine performance.

4. Is generic 2 cycle motor oil safe for the environment?

Generic 2 cycle motor oil may contain chemicals that can be harmful to the environment if not disposed of properly. It is important to follow proper disposal guidelines and avoid spilling the oil on the ground or in bodies of water.

5. Can I mix different brands of generic 2 cycle motor oil?

It is generally not recommended to mix different brands of generic 2 cycle motor oil. Each brand may have slightly different formulas and mixing them could potentially affect the performance and protection of your engine.

Similar threads

  • Aerospace Engineering
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
176
Replies
2
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
660
  • Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • General Discussion
2
Replies
48
Views
4K
Replies
16
Views
3K
  • Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
Replies
15
Views
2K
Replies
17
Views
375
Back
Top