Pollution of Different Types of Oils

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pollution
In summary: Thanks! In summary, the waste oil furnace Matt built can run on any type of oil, but he wants to burn the most environmentally friendly oil possible. He researched which oils produce the least amount of pollution when burned, and he found that waste motor oil has many toxic chemicals in it. He then decided to learn more about how these types of oil pollute and found that all of the oils have some degree of pollution.
Xyius
Hello all,

Recently I built myself a waste oil furnace. It can run on any type of oil, but I would like to burn the most environmentally friendly oil, or at least become more educated on the types of pollution some of these oils produce.

My first question is (based purely on curiosity), does burning petroleum based products in a furnace change the amount of pollutants that go into the air when compared to burning these products in an internal combustion engine?

Second, I have a wide variety of oils to choose from, such as..

-Waste motor oil
-Diesel Fuel
-Kerosene
-Waste Kitchen Oil
-Heating Oil

What I would like to know is, how environmentally friendly each one of these petroleum products is when burned in a furnace. I recently found out that no one is allowed to give me waste motor oil due to EPA regulations. I then researched this more to find that waste motor oil has many toxic chemicals in it. This prompted me to want to learn more about how these types of oil pollute.

Thanks!
~Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
-Waste motor oil
Heavy metals.
Xyius said:
-Diesel Fuel
Additives of various types.
Xyius said:
-Kerosene
Reasonably clean.
Xyius said:
-Waste Kitchen Oil
Who knows how much NOx from food residues, plus phosphorus, chlorine, and other food decomposition products.
Xyius said:
-Heating Oil
Supposed to be clean.
You'll want to check state and local environmental regulations, local building and fire code, and what else ---- your home insurance provider.

Thanks! Exactly what I needed!

Bystander said:
your home insurance provider.

Lol yes the last thing I want is to burn my house down. Taking all safety precautions.

Xyius said:
Hello all, ... My first question is (based purely on curiosity), does burning petroleum based products in a furnace change the amount of pollutants that go into the air when compared to burning these products in an internal combustion engine?
Yes. Engines carefully ensure adequate air in the mixture, constant temperature for such as NOx reduction. A furnace is largely unregulated fuel/air combustion.
Second, I have a wide variety of oils to choose from, such as..

-Waste motor oil
-Diesel Fuel
-Kerosene
-Waste Kitchen Oil
-Heating Oil

What I would like to know is, how environmentally friendly each one of these petroleum products is when burned in a furnace.
Roughly inversely to their real cost/cost to you. IOW fuels will be friendly but expensive, while recycled will be cheap because they have become more toxic in pre-use.
I recently found out that no one is allowed to give me waste motor oil due to EPA regulations.
You must know the details of regulations and EPA regulations and not cop an easy answer. A license may be required to recycle motor oil but it must be done.
I then researched this more to find that waste motor oil has many toxic chemicals in it. This prompted me to want to learn more about how these types of oil pollute. Thanks! ~Matt
I once had a Fed try to convince me that diesel fuel was a hazardous material for the cadmium content that he had just discovered. The argument was expensive and diesel fuel continues to be used.

Doug Huffman said:
Yes. Engines carefully ensure adequate air in the mixture, constant temperature for such as NOx reduction. A furnace is largely unregulated fuel/air combustion.

What about unburned hydrocarbons? Wouldn't a furnace not have any since all the fuel has enough time for complete combustion?

Thanks for your reply by the way!

What is the oily smoke from a smoky furnace but unburned hydrocarbons.

Oil is used as a fuel for engines in cars, planes,ship,trucks etc and is also generate a large pollution. Mainly , Oil Spill contaminated water supply and causes more pollution than others especially in marine areas and destructs the sea animals and birds.

Anitha said:
[ ... ] ... and causes more pollution than others ... [ ...]
Causes more pollution than others, what others, please?

What are the different types of oils that can cause pollution?

There are many types of oils that can cause pollution, including crude oil, petroleum products such as gasoline and diesel, motor oil, cooking oil, and industrial oils like hydraulic fluid and lubricants.

How does oil pollution occur?

Oil pollution can occur through a variety of means, such as oil spills from tankers or pipelines, leaks or accidents at oil refineries or storage facilities, and improper disposal of used oil or oil-contaminated materials.

What are the environmental impacts of oil pollution?

Oil pollution can have devastating effects on the environment, including harming aquatic life, damaging ecosystems, and contaminating soil and water sources. It can also have negative impacts on human health and the economy.

How can oil pollution be prevented?

Oil pollution can be prevented through proper maintenance and monitoring of oil storage and transportation systems, as well as implementing stricter regulations and penalties for oil spills and pollution incidents. Proper disposal and recycling of used oil can also help prevent pollution.

Can oil pollution be cleaned up?

While it can be difficult to completely clean up oil pollution, there are various methods and technologies that can be used to contain and remove spilled oil from the environment. These can include mechanical cleanup methods, chemical dispersants, and bioremediation techniques.