Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What chemicals will take up dissolved oxygen?

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    I am developing a model of dissolved oxygen (DO) consumption by yeast in the fermentation process. I would like to use a solution that will predictably take up DO over the course of 1 or 2 hours so that I can test a more basic model with the laboratory equipment I have. This would prove I have the means to test a model of the more complex fermentation process.

The DO will be bubbled up through the solution in a fermentation tank. I am a senior Bioengineering undergraduate student, and I do not have much experience with or knowledge of useful chemicals so I need your help.

What cost effective chemicals will take up DO over the course of 1 to 2 hours, much the way yeast consumes DO in the fermentation process?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you looking for something with a specific reaction/stoichiometry to use as an additional analytical method, or would something that requires calibration be suitable?

Edit: (add) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_scavenger

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  4. Sep 17, 2015 #3
    Something with a specific stoichiometry is what I am imagining. In this way I could apply a linear flow rate of air bubbled through the solution until it is saturated.

I'm not sure what you mean by "something that requires calibration".

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just thinking in terms of using charcoal/activated carbon. You did say, "cost effective," which I translated as "cheap."

6. Sep 17, 2015 #5
    Yes, cheap is the idea! But I think relatively cheap in the world of Sigma Aldrich chemicals is more what I had in mind. The adsorption of DO on activated carbon depends on many things including surface area and porosity.

I need something that has only one variable; the presence of oxygen.

Thanks for your help!

7. Sep 17, 2015 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

At which point, hit the Wiki link for pointers to oxygen scavengers.

8. Sep 17, 2015 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bubble purge with Argon or Nitrogen .

9. Oct 1, 2015 #8
    If I understand your query you are looking for something to take up or utilize dissolved oxygen as a method to prove another process you are working on. Not knowing what your base process is I have a suggestion that may suit your needs. This assuming that you have a method of measuring dissolved oxygen at your disposal.

In the Waste water world there is a test called a BOD5 this stands for Biological Oxygen Demand at 5 days. They use a calibrated bacteria which acts very similar to a yeast. It is added to a dilution of the waste water and measured and sealed up. The bacteria uses residual biological foods and the dissolved oxygen. After 5 days it is remeasured ( post bacterial lifespan) for the amount of DO that was used the numbers produced are an indication of the waste water strength.

It would be possible to purchase or even obtain economically from a local sewage treatment plant or septic system lab some of this BOD seed. A few self developed test will give you a baseline for your own test.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook