What color would a green cloth appear in yellow light

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jsmith613
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Color Green Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jsmith613
Messages
609
Reaction score
0
Basically I wanted to teach myself about light and I have a question that i am not to sure about
basically I know about the spectrum of light but I also know that two primary colours make a secondary color.

yellow is either is own wavelength or its a mixture of green and red, so here's my questions

What color would a green cloth appear in yellow light.

I know its either green or black but i am not sure which
 
Physics news on Phys.org


What do you mean "a green cloth"? You mean when illuminated with white light the cloth appears green?
 


A green cloth reflects both blue and yellow light, so if you shine "yellow light" on it (ie light where all other wavelengths have been removed, including blue obviously) the cloth would only reflect yellow light and thus appear yellow.