What color would a green cloth appear in yellow light

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between primary and secondary colors in light and the color a green cloth would appear under yellow light. The question is whether the cloth would appear green or black when illuminated by yellow light, and the answer is that it would appear yellow because it reflects both blue and yellow light.
jsmith613
Basically I wanted to teach myself about light and I have a question that i am not to sure about
basically I know about the spectrum of light but I also know that two primary colours make a secondary color.

yellow is either is own wavelength or its a mixture of green and red, so here's my questions

What color would a green cloth appear in yellow light.

I know its either green or black but i am not sure which

Science news on Phys.org

What do you mean "a green cloth"? You mean when illuminated with white light the cloth appears green?

A green cloth reflects both blue and yellow light, so if you shine "yellow light" on it (ie light where all other wavelengths have been removed, including blue obviously) the cloth would only reflect yellow light and thus appear yellow.

Related to What color would a green cloth appear in yellow light

1. What is the color of a green cloth in yellow light?

The green cloth would appear yellowish-green in yellow light.

2. Why does a green cloth appear different in yellow light?

This is because yellow light contains a higher amount of yellow wavelengths, which can overpower the green wavelengths in the cloth and make it appear more yellow.

3. Can the color of a green cloth change in different types of yellow light?

Yes, the color of the green cloth can appear different in different types of yellow light. For example, a warmer, more orange-toned yellow light may make the cloth appear more yellow-orange, while a cooler, more lemon-toned yellow light may make it appear more yellow-green.

4. Is it possible for a green cloth to appear completely yellow in yellow light?

Yes, it is possible for a green cloth to appear completely yellow in yellow light, depending on the intensity and type of yellow light and the specific shade of green of the cloth.

5. How does the color of a green cloth in yellow light affect our perception of it?

The color of the green cloth in yellow light can alter our perception of the cloth, making it appear less green and more yellow. This is due to a phenomenon known as color contrast, where our perception of a color can be influenced by the colors around it.