I'm talking massive amounts of water. Hypothetically speaking, let's say there was NO water on our surface and it was ALL in our atmosphere. Or let's say our oceans were 50% of what they are now and the other 50% was in the atmosphere, or 75/25, 90/10, etc.
Is there anything that could result in such a massive body of water being in the atmosphere. Obviously (or I'd assume "obviously") it'd be in a gaseous form (clouds, etc), but instead of the clouds breaking apart into rain because of gravity, the water just stays up there, or any other possible explanation.
This is, of course, completely hypothetical, so I don't expect any proof or evidence, etc. Maybe even consider it isn't even Earth.
The idea is for a story I am writing, and I'm trying to make all the aspects of the planet seem as physically possible as I can. Worst-case scenario, I raise the global temperature of the planet considerably to sustain heavier loads of water in the atmosphere.
Thanks.