What could I do instead of engineering?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, it seems like you don't want to continue with engineering if you have to use math on a daily basis. There are other options available to you, such as becoming a technician or switching to a different field.
Tyrion101
It's not that I can't do the math, I'm just slow, and really don't want to take math for the rest of my life (which is what it feels like is going to happen if I stay in engineering). Math just, makes me really angry for some reason, and while I love science, I just don't want to have to do all of that math. I looked into EET, but at my school it basically requires the same amount of math anyway as an EE, so that's out. I really don't know what to do. Is there something I could do and still work at an engineering firm of some sort that doesn't require the math load?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could work in Human Resources.

You could consider becoming a mathematician. Sometimes it is best to hug your enemy to death.

Likes kswgrad2012 and analogdesign
Tyrion101 said:
I looked into EET, but at my school it basically requires the same amount of math anyway as an EE, so that's out.

That's unusual, did you check across a few schools?

I really don't know what to do. Is there something I could do and still work at an engineering firm of some sort that doesn't require the math load?
Many (or even most?) engineers never use the upper level math learned at university.

I didn't like math when I started engineering, now I want a job that uses it..

That is what I keep being told, but I don't want to spend a few more years taking math classes just to get to the point where I don't have to take it anymore. Math makes me want to break things.

Tyrion101 said:
Math makes me want to break things.
It often has the same effect on me, but I still love it. In a way math is not unlike women.

Interesting take. I love the science, but not the loads of math.

Tyrion101 said:
I love the science, but not the loads of math.
Maybe it helps when you think of mathematics as just a language that helps you to precisely express yourself about the scientific problem at hand. I think for an engineer this would be a perfectly valid standpoint. Don't make mathematics more important than it is for you, perhaps be a bit more opportunistic?

Maybe at one point you will even see the beauty of it? But if not, that is fine, too. Then it remains just a tool.

Perhaps you'd rather look into becoming a technician. You'll be able to work with engineers and maintain/repair their designs. Math is still needed, but not on the level of design. To do this, you should learn how to solder, build coaxial cables, CAD software, have an ability to read technical drawings and blueprints, use test equipment, and understand the basics of electronics theory. A degree program that states something like "engineering technician" that's hands on from a reputable school (not an online diploma mill) will give you some of this training. For experience you could always enlist into a "job" that's technically oriented, all branches have electronics technicians of some sort.

That or you could go into biology. ;)

1. What other career options are available besides engineering?

There are a wide range of careers available in various industries such as healthcare, finance, education, technology, and more.

2. Can I use my engineering degree in a different field?

Yes, an engineering degree can be applied to various fields such as project management, consulting, data analysis, and more.

3. What skills do I need to have for a non-engineering career?

Some important skills for non-engineering careers include communication, problem-solving, critical thinking, and adaptability.

4. Will I need additional education or training for a different career?

It depends on the specific career you are interested in. Some careers may require additional education or training, while others may value your engineering background and skills.

5. How do I know if a non-engineering career is right for me?

It is important to research and explore different career options, consider your interests and strengths, and potentially speak with professionals in those fields to gain insight and make an informed decision.