1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronics Engineering or should I study Mathematics instead?

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    Hello, my name is Diana and I'm studying Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I really love and enjoy Physics so much, and I was planning to study Physics after graduating from Electrical and Electronics Engineering. This is my first semester by the way. The reason I didn't apply for Physics is because I want to study Physics in the US and I wan't to enter a really great university, because I really wanna be a Physicist and I want to be able to work as a researcher. Anyhow... I felt like studying Electrical and Electronics Engineering is a waste of time because I'll be taking all these courses again when I study Physics.
    So, I was thinking that I should probably leave Electrical and Electronics Engineering and study Mathematics instead. I am really not that good at math... I know this sounds weird... I understand Physics but I have trouble understanding Mathematics... and I feel like in order to be a great Physicist I should be good in Mathematics...

So is this the right thing to do? Should I stay in Electrical and Electronics Engineering or should I study Mathematics instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2
    I am not sure if you will have to take all of the courses again at all. Usually you have a choice of courses to take though there are some compulsory modules. I would have thought the enforced overlap would actually be very small indeed, but check out the syllabuses and see for yourself. Electronics is a really in demand field so it is a great course to do as a fall back. Best of luck.

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3
    Well seems a hard choice but if i were you i would continue in EE (because a degree in EE i think gives you better professional and carrer options than a degree in math)and try to study the branches of math that relate to theoretical physics on my own (like calculus, algebra,probabilities, maybe functional analysis). Besides i think when you gonna study physics in a good US university you will be able to take courses in all the math that will be required for your physics understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook