1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses What course are functions and operators (eg differential operator) introduced?

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    I am about to start a graduate program in signal processing. A lot of the literature that I've been recently browsing, uses the concept of operators on functions - such as a differential, or Fourier transform operator. I really like this "framework" (for lack of understanding) but have never seen a formal introduction to it - it just started appearing.

Is there a specific course where this terminology and notation is introduced?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    Um not quite clear, but are you asking where Fourier transforms first show up? Undergraduate engineers and math majors learn all about them. They're first covered in a differential equations course and engineers start using them (and laplace transforms and the ilk) in the linear time signals analysis I course, which is the first course in the signal processing sequence.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    I think a graduate course in functional analysis is what you are looking for.

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4
    functional analysis, partial differential equations, and advanced differential equations will get u used to using fourier transformation, differential operators and functionals.

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5
    my professor, Dr. Christian Constanda has written some incredible books for both PDE and ADE if u need books on these subjects search his name it doesn't get more clear than him!

7. Dec 6, 2009 #6
    Yep, functional analysis is what you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook