What Determines the Gauge Pressure in a Garden Hose with a Leak?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 9K views
whoknows123
[SOLVED] Gauge Pressure

A garden hose is attached to a water faucet on one end and a spray nozzle on the other end. The water faucet is turned on, but the nozzle is turned off so that no water flows through the hose. The hose lies horizontally on the ground, and a stream of water sprays vertically out of a small leak to a height of 0.68 m. What is the gauge pressure inside the hose? (Gauge pressure is the amount by which the pressure exceeds atmospheric pressure.)

how would I find this??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
whoknows123 said:
A garden hose is attached to a water faucet on one end and a spray nozzle on the other end. The water faucet is turned on, but the nozzle is turned off so that no water flows through the hose. The hose lies horizontally on the ground, and a stream of water sprays vertically out of a small leak to a height of 0.68 m. What is the gauge pressure inside the hose? (Gauge pressure is the amount by which the pressure exceeds atmospheric pressure.)

how would I find this??
What is its kinetic energy per unit mass when the water is leaving the hose if it rises .68 m? What is the relationship between pressure difference and velocity of a fluid passing from a region of low (no) speed to higher speed? (Look up Bernouilli's equation).

AM
 
P + (1/2)pv^2 + pgh
p=density of air=1.29 kg/m^3
h=.68m
how do I find P and velocity?
 
No, you didn't (I mean not fully). Just read how you defined gauge pressure.
 
I have to do this question too.

How do I find the velocity w/o knowing the time?
 
If one knows or calculates the kinetic energy or mass flow rate (and density and cross-sectional area) or volumetric flowrate and cross-sectional area, the velocity can be calculated.

Or experimentally, use an anemometer (either UT or laser)
 
Last edited: