What Determines the Radial Acceleration of a Swinging Ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ball swinging in a vertical circle on a rope and the determination of its acceleration, velocity, and speed at a specific point. The solution manual and the individual have differing solutions and methods for determining the components of the acceleration and the direction of the velocity. The conversation also mentions resolving vectors and the use of Pythagoras Theorem in finding the radial acceleration.
twoods
Hi!
I am reviewing for the Physics GRE and am perplexed by this problem:

Homework Statement

A ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a rope 1.5m long. When the ball is 36.9 degrees past the lowest point on its way up, its total acceleration is (-22.5, 20.1)m/s^2. At this instant (a) sketch a vector diagram showing the components of its acceleration, (b) determine the magnitude of its radial acceleration, and (c) determine the speed and velocity of the ball.

Homework Equations

a_c = v^2/R
sin(angle) = opposite/hyp.
cos(angle) = adjacent/hyp.

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached images.

I agree with the solutions I have attached for part (a), but not for (b) or (c). Especially how the solution manual determines the components of the radial acceleration in part (b) and direction of velocity in part (c).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    14 KB · Views: 5,442
  • Photo on 2012-05-19 at 14.45.jpg
    Photo on 2012-05-19 at 14.45.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 4,637
Physics news on Phys.org
Reading this has made me question my own knowledge. For part b) I've always been told to work out the square root of the sum of each component squared. In this case, that will be [itex]\sqrt{22.5^{2}+20.2^{2}}[/itex] which is about 30.2 m s^-2. I've never heard of the method stated in the solution.

For part c) the direction at that given point is tangent to the circle like you said and the tangent makes the angle 36.9 with the horizontal, and you've have used the same method to work out the velocity as stated in the solution and that's correct.

Any vector can be replaced(resolved) to minimum of 2 vectors.
The book resolved the horizontal to tangential and radial
The vertical acceleration too is resolved to radial and tangential.
You can also resolve the radial to horizontal and vertical componets.

In your solution which is wrong,
1. You resolve ar1 to vertical only. 3=2+1. Never 3=2
2. Only one radial acceleration. You can resolve this acceleration to vertical AND horizontal. Remember the word AND when resolving vectors.

Thank y'all for the replies!

Azizlwl, I solved for the hypotenuse of the "acceleration triangles" - so the radial parts - not the vertical parts - and added them together.

Does this not work?

Is the solution wrong? How is the angle of the rope related to the tangential acceleration anyway?

Edit: Whoops I didn't read the question.

Sythical said:
Reading this has made me question my own knowledge. For part b) I've always been told to work out the square root of the sum of each component squared. In this case, that will be [itex]\sqrt{22.5^{2}+20.2^{2}}[/itex] which is about 30.2 m s^-2. I've never heard of the method stated in the solution.

For part c) the direction at that given point is tangent to the circle like you said and the tangent makes the angle 36.9 with the horizontal, and you've have used the same method to work out the velocity as stated in the solution and that's correct.

The radial acceleration has to point towards the center of the circle. If you use Pythagoras Theorem the resulting acceleration will probably point somewhere else.

If you have to use Pythagoras Theorem then you'll need to find the values of tangential acceleration and the net acceleration before you can find the radial acceleration. And obviously you don't have tangential acceleration.

See the right diagram:
http://buphy.bu.edu/~duffy/PY105/15g.GIF

Related to What Determines the Radial Acceleration of a Swinging Ball?

1. What is radial acceleration of a ball?

Radial acceleration of a ball is the acceleration that occurs when a ball moves in a circular path. It is the change in velocity of the ball as it moves around the center of the circle.

2. How is radial acceleration calculated?

Radial acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2 / r, where a is the radial acceleration, v is the velocity of the ball, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the radial acceleration of a ball?

The radial acceleration of a ball can be affected by the speed of the ball, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the ball. The greater the speed and smaller the radius, the higher the radial acceleration will be. The mass of the ball also plays a role, with heavier balls requiring more force to accelerate at the same rate as lighter balls.

4. How does radial acceleration differ from tangential acceleration?

Radial acceleration and tangential acceleration are both types of acceleration that can occur in circular motion. The main difference between them is their direction. Radial acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is directed perpendicular to the radial acceleration, tangential to the circular path.

5. What are some real-world applications of radial acceleration of a ball?

Radial acceleration of a ball is a key concept in understanding the motion of objects in circular paths, such as a ball on a merry-go-round or a car going around a curve. It is also important in sports, such as in the movement of a golf ball or a basketball being thrown into a hoop. In addition, radial acceleration plays a role in the design and performance of roller coasters and other amusement park rides.