What do curl/Dovergence of various fields represent?

• Thread starter swraman
  • Start date
jsut wondering, is there any realistic OR theoretical significance to:

[tex]Div \stackrel{\rightarrow}{G}[/tex]
[tex]Div \stackrel{\rightarrow}{E}[/tex]
[tex]Div \stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}[/tex]
[tex]Curl \stackrel{\rightarrow}{G}[/tex]
[tex]Curl \stackrel{\rightarrow}{E}[/tex]
[tex]Curl \stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}[/tex]

where [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{G}[/tex], [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{E}[/tex] and [tex] \stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}[/tex] are a gravitational, electric, and magnetic field respectivley.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Looks like a homework question. What do you think the answers are? You need to make an attempt.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Loosely speaking, 'divergence' is a measure of the sources and sinks to a field. 'Curl' is a measure of the rotation.

No, it is not a homework question. Im just studying for finals and I have calculus and physics left...so a lot of these kind of questions have been going through my head. We talked a little about it in math, something to do with the field being conservative (havent gotten that far in my studying yet).
And from physics gravitational and electrical fields are conservative...but I just dont know what the exact correlations between the 2 are and was wondering if there was one.

i wish someone would've helped me with this, it showed up on the final I was studying for. =\

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
i wish someone would've helped me with this, it showed up on the final I was studying for. =\
Homework/coursework style questions should be placed in the homework forums.

Next time post your question in the correct forum, and you are more likely to receive help. However, you must make an effort: we don't just answer such questions for students.