What do you need most in your life?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: Oreos (most important thing), Chocolate (most important thing), Money (I don't need more of it), Sex (I don't need more of it), Drugs (I don't need more of them), TV Shows (I don't need more of them), Internet (I don't need more of it), Friends (I've got plenty of those), Life (I've got plenty of that too)

What do you need most in your life?

• Total voters
OmCheeto said:
Ok. But there will be a $19.95 shipping and handling fee for each $5.00 I send you. Deal?

Sure, but there's a $29.95 packaging fee for your $19.95. Envelopes aren't free, you know.

Physics news on Phys.org
This poll is incomplete. It does not include pizza.

Humor.

Faith that I can get everything I need, when I need it.

My glasses, but that would be the odd one in the list. Otherwise: thinking.
I'm looking at the list and I don't know which one to pick... The ones I would never pick are faith and hope.

lisab said:
Several months ago I was moved into a new position at work. I didn't want to do it because I had a strong feeling it wouldn't suit me. But it did come with a bit of a pay raise. I wasn't given a choice, in any case.

Well, I was right: it doesn't suit me. So...now what?

Well, you can always search for a new position (maybe a home-based position, if possible?) that would suit you? That's what I've done in the past and it has turned out well for me. Of course, YMMV.

Voted for understanding and sleep, but in retrospect realize I value freedom more than the rest. My life needs to be my own.

I need everything that's listed.

I think the recurring theme in my life lately though is something that's not listed: time.

Many days I feel like I'm stuck fighting in a scenario where, regardless of what I do, I'm letting someone down because there's too much to do and not enough time to do it in. I like to believe though that most ambitious people face this problem.

Likes PWiz and fireflies
Voted Courage, Confidence, Motivation, Hope, Passion and Sleep.

Strenght is unclear to me, is it physical strenght? If it is then I don't think it's crucial.Love is also unclear, I assumed it was meant as love between a man and a woman and not as parent love in childhood, with the first one being a luxury and the second one being crucial.Understanding is another, of course you need understanding of some things, but it was too vague for me to vote for it.Freedom depends on what kind of freedom you are talking about.If you're stuck in prison then yeah, you need freedom.If freedom is say not living in Russia because "it's not a free country as much as the USA", then no.

EDIT: Obviously before voting I didn't read OP, I always do that :facepalm:

In my life I think I could use a higher dose of courage and confidence, and some extra motivation.I do have hope in the future for the moment, my sleep is okay and I have a lot of passion.

Last edited:
Likes fireflies
Since most- so I selected the MOSTs, like I need courage or confidence now more than freedom while even somedays ago I needed freedom most than anything else.But why did you not give things like support or friends/family??

The best I could select right now: courage, love, confidence, peace, understanding, motivation and healing

I check all of them. On discussion boards I need to talk to people who do not share the same account most, while off boards in face to face debates I prefer non-aggressive, mature , sincere, gentle and smart people. So I decide to hang around with gay men only.

Likes Evo
Don't you guys think if you have wisdom you have all the rest? The wisdom to give me courage, the wisdom to give me strength, the wisdom to know what true love is, and the wisdom to know what I really need in life.

Coming back to this thread a year later, I could do with some healing too, along with strength, wisdom and peace.

Likes davenn
Ugh. I'm still sitting on my front porch, drinking beer.
Now I know why I hated retired people so much...
What a bunch of lazy [plural expletive deleted]!

@Enigman, yeah ... me too, after 3 years of ongoing dreadful health problems
I just want to be well again. I have long forgotten what it is like to be pain and other health issues free :frown:Dave

Freedom because I'm a teen and (regretfully) share the sentiments of my fellow peers, and strength because I've always been a Dragon Ball Z fan (I've tried to lucid dream about going Super Saiyan multiple times, trust me).

OmCheeto said:
Ugh. I'm still sitting on my front porch, drinking beer.
Now I know why I hated retired people so much...
What a bunch of lazy [plural expletive deleted]!
Retirement is not in your age, nor is it in your employment status. It is a state of mind one chooses to assume.
I've made this choice in my late twenties, and never regretted it since. Now all I need in life is a bit of sunshine, a cold beer, and for those darn kids to get off my lawn. Never been so happy.
(The lawn is also a state of mind)

Likes davenn and OmCheeto
Healing. Mainly physical healing. Every injury I get or plain old ache I get seems to take forever to get over.

My shoulder still hurts from a rafting trip I took nearly two months ago and it took over a month for my ribs quit being sore (a rafting guide fell out of the sky and landed right on my shoulder, crushing my ribs down against a paddle spanning from the edge of the raft to my thigh).

I have a 3-year-old granddaughter that still needs to be carried in a backpack carrier once in a while and always on the uphill parts of the trail, dammit!. It can take days for my back to stop aching after some of our longer hikes. (But, on the other hand, my legs are still only a tiny bit sore in spite of carrying her up all of those hills.)

The other stuff? If I got them, it means I had to change. Meh. I'm okay with myself the way I am.

Although time would have been a good option to add. I always seem to complete things just in time, mainly because I've had to put off doing some things simply because there were other things that needed done right away.

Or more help. For various reasons, last year I was the only one in my work shop with more than 3 months experience, which is why I tend to be so short of time. Now I've got one person with a year's experience, plus a part timer with a year's experience - and a part-timer with 6 months experience and a full-time person with 3 months experience - and a rock that I don't think will ever get qualified, let alone do us any good (who I also hope never reads this, because he's my boss). Not as bad as last year, but there's still only two of us full time that handle "most" problems and only me that can handle the "hard" problems (it takes around two or three years experience to begin to get really good at my job).

Hmm, given the impact this post could have on my career, I should have asked for wisdom, but meh... unemployment can't be that bad. And given the experience level in my shop, I'm not sure I could be fired.

Likes OmCheeto
Silicon Waffle said:
I check all of them. On discussion boards I need to talk to people who do not share the same account most, while off boards in face to face debates I prefer non-aggressive, mature , sincere, gentle and smart people. So I decide to hang around with gay men only.

BTW, I've known gay men who have none of the above characteristics I've bolded, and straight men who have all of the above characteristics. So be careful with generalizations! :biggrin:

Likes lisab and Silicon Waffle
<h2>1. What is the most important thing you need in your life?</h2><p>The most important thing I need in my life is love and relationships. As humans, we have a natural desire for connection and support from others. Having strong and healthy relationships with friends, family, and a significant other can greatly contribute to our overall happiness and well-being.</p><h2>2. Do you think money is the most important thing in life?</h2><p>No, while money is necessary for meeting our basic needs and achieving certain goals, it is not the most important thing in life. Studies have shown that once our basic needs are met, additional wealth has little impact on our overall happiness. Other factors such as relationships, personal growth, and purpose play a bigger role in our overall well-being.</p><h2>3. How important is self-care in your life?</h2><p>Self-care is crucial for maintaining a healthy and balanced life. It involves taking care of our physical, mental, and emotional well-being. By prioritizing self-care, we can better manage stress, improve our relationships, and have more energy to pursue our goals and passions.</p><h2>4. What role does purpose play in your life?</h2><p>Having a sense of purpose is essential for a fulfilling life. It gives us direction, motivation, and a sense of meaning. Whether it's through our career, hobbies, or volunteering, having a purpose allows us to contribute to something greater than ourselves and find fulfillment in our daily lives.</p><h2>5. How important is personal growth and development to you?</h2><p>Personal growth and development are crucial for living a fulfilling and meaningful life. Continuously learning, setting goals, and challenging ourselves allows us to grow and evolve as individuals. It can also lead to increased confidence, resilience, and a greater sense of purpose in life.</p>

1. What is the most important thing you need in your life?

The most important thing I need in my life is love and relationships. As humans, we have a natural desire for connection and support from others. Having strong and healthy relationships with friends, family, and a significant other can greatly contribute to our overall happiness and well-being.

2. Do you think money is the most important thing in life?

No, while money is necessary for meeting our basic needs and achieving certain goals, it is not the most important thing in life. Studies have shown that once our basic needs are met, additional wealth has little impact on our overall happiness. Other factors such as relationships, personal growth, and purpose play a bigger role in our overall well-being.

3. How important is self-care in your life?

Self-care is crucial for maintaining a healthy and balanced life. It involves taking care of our physical, mental, and emotional well-being. By prioritizing self-care, we can better manage stress, improve our relationships, and have more energy to pursue our goals and passions.

4. What role does purpose play in your life?

Having a sense of purpose is essential for a fulfilling life. It gives us direction, motivation, and a sense of meaning. Whether it's through our career, hobbies, or volunteering, having a purpose allows us to contribute to something greater than ourselves and find fulfillment in our daily lives.

5. How important is personal growth and development to you?

Personal growth and development are crucial for living a fulfilling and meaningful life. Continuously learning, setting goals, and challenging ourselves allows us to grow and evolve as individuals. It can also lead to increased confidence, resilience, and a greater sense of purpose in life.