Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you think about this T-Shirt?

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3848/57533257.png [Broken]

Do you suggest another equation to put on the bottom instead of Taylor series? Any with integrals and complicated things? xD

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2
    you could change cos to sin

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    hum... why?

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

<heart|heart>=?............... :biggrin:

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5
    Why would you want anything else? Unless we know for what purpose you're doing this I doubt we'd be able to improve on your idea. To be honest I don't see the need to replace the xkcd's version's Laplace transform with your Taylor series. If you want something complicated with integrals and such why not use the official version that has integrals and such?

Anyway one idea which I have no idea which is what you're looking for or not is to perhaps mix in something about convergent sequences as most of the other examples seem to be tools from intro calculus and linear algebra. Something like:
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{f(\heartsuit^n)}{e^n} \to ?[/tex]

7. Mar 24, 2010 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Mar 24, 2010 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So if love is negative......

Does real love exist?

9. Mar 24, 2010 #8
    The link is not working...

I changed it and now it's like the original version now look:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/34/58306590.png [Broken]

The math is correct in the Laplace transform, right?

10. Mar 24, 2010 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Positives: Pierre LaPlace is the patron saint of math teachers, having originated the phrase: "It is therefore obvious that...." while completely omitting all the steps that might actually make it obvious.

Negatives: Pierre LaPlace wasn't very romantic. William Hamilton was much more romantic. On a moonlit stroll with his wife, he carved into the stone of the Brougham Bridge: [tex]i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = ijk = -1[/tex]

11. Mar 24, 2010 #10
    It looks like a very comfortable t-shirt, although having an animal might cause it to collect pet hair whilst laying on the couch.

12. Mar 24, 2010 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no animals on either shirt! Quit hallucinating!

13. Mar 24, 2010 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Who dares critique XKCD!?

(You can buy the T http://store.xkcd.com/" [Broken].)

14. Mar 24, 2010 #13
    I own the shirt, or at least the one put out by XKCD. It's cool, but the pink does kinda stand out.

15. Mar 25, 2010 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who cares? You're probably better off having the math wrong. That way, if you find a female who actually can point out to you that there's an error in the math, you'll have found someone sufficiently geeky to understand your sense of humor.

16. Mar 25, 2010 #15
    Should anyone under 70 be wearing those polo shirts?

Good point, Moonbear. I mean, who wouldn't want to find someone who knows there's a mistake in the math on your t-shirt. Would life get any better?

17. Mar 26, 2010 #16
    no way, galois was the most romantic of all... or was he creepiest? :tongue2:

18. Mar 27, 2010 #17
    I really don't like xkcd for the maths though, I don't like calculus-based maths. I like these 'my hobby' strips better from him. One of my favourite comics though, very original humour.

19. Mar 27, 2010 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What I think?

"bancomicsans.com"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  20. Mar 27, 2010 #19
    Why would comic sans be banned?

As the name suggests, it's a sans-serif font for comics, and I daresay it's one of the best fonts around for that. The font is excellent for speech balloons, it's lose, random, and very readable for short texts.

However, I've had electrodynamics lectures in the damned font. It might be one of the worst fonts for that, because it's hard to read.

Any thing on a screen, arial or verdana is the best. Also, that supposedly serif fonts are better readable for body texts is a myth that has never been proven. It apparently originates from one research which had one sans font, which was the hardest to read of all.

http://www.alexpoole.info/academic/literaturereview.html [Broken]

As it looks, the readability of different typefaces seems to differ more between individual members of either family, than of some of both. Typefaces that are easy to read are arial (sans), helvetica (sans), times (serif), verdana (sans), computer modern (serif).

Typefaces which are hard to read are lucida console (serif), impact (sans).

21. Mar 27, 2010 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should watch the video on the bottom of this page, it will explain all: http://bancomicsans.com/main/?page_id=2" [Broken].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook