Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does academic education cost?

  1. Jan 7, 2005 #1
    Inspired by the talk about tuition fees in the "european degree terminology"-thread, perhaps the financial side of academic education could use an own thread? So, despite our daily proportion of intellectual food, I suppose phycists must eat: what does it cost to get an academic education in your country/university? What expenses are there; tuition fees, college fees, apartment rentals, etc. the whole deal?

    And perhaps more importantly, what student benefits, health care, grant possibilities, etc. is available for students at different levels? Not to mention the whole research financing system; does universities pay for it, a science foundation, or a ministry? What about companies? How does it work?

    I can start from my turf: Finns tend to brag about free education (which ought to have been proven by now :wink: ), in other words, degree students (bachelor/master) only pay a (compulsory) membership fee of around 60e per year to the student union. In exchange for that you get dinner for 2,35e, free health care (with long ques), discounts in public transports, movies, museums, etc, all this substituted by the government. All universities are financed by the state, so the costs and benefits are the same everywhere. However, tuition fees have been proposed to foreign students, so the haven is probably not eternal.

    Most student unions also own apartments around the campus area, which are for rental for a reasonable price. 170e/month for "cell-apartments" (shared kitchen and bathroom with a couple of others and an own room) and up to 500e for family apartments (40m^2 - 60m^2 and a family required).

    Being an undergraduate I am not that familiar with the research founding, but this site ought to be enlightening: http://www.aka.fi/modules/page/show_page.asp?id=582F97D274F54AB6A84ACF584C056B06 [Broken] The academy of finland administers most of the government's research founding and distributes it through various programs. Most of the graduate schools (to which you apply with a master or MD to get your phd) get their founding from the academy and upon admission to them you also get founding (around 1000e - 1500e/month for 3-4 years). Of course, companies tend to pay much better and nothing prevents you from having a suitable sexy mentor in the industry, instead of that dusty professor. (No offence intended, but I am a dust-allergic :wink: ). Speaking of which, our babyboomer-professors are about to retire and there are wild predictions about the number of soon-to-be open academic posts - that, however, probably will go to hotshot foreigners in stead of me. :wink:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    well there are really 3-4 different college systems in the US. costs vary by state and by type of school.

    community or junior colleges - cheapest - and only offers associate or 2 year degrees, but you can apply to 4-year colleges/universities and continue as a junior

    city colleges - can be as cheap as cc but offers bachelors degrees and some even graduate degrees (CUNY CCNY)

    state colleges and universities- tend to be a bit more costly and offer whole range of degrees (from associate to phd) - this is where the bulk of professors usually comes from (e.g.: UCLA, UCBerkley, OSU, SUNY, Rutgers, etc)

    private universities - expensive to very expensive. depends on who you ask, tends to be the elite of higher education in the US. offers bachelors and graduate degrees. (e.g.: cornell, mit, columbia, harvard, etc)

    www.princetonreview.com for all your info on any particular school
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook