Mike_bb
- 328
- 40
It's not enough.Herman Trivilino said:It's the first sentence in the passage you quoted:
"The main assumption here is that the direction of the velocity is distributed uniformly."
It's not enough.Herman Trivilino said:It's the first sentence in the passage you quoted:
"The main assumption here is that the direction of the velocity is distributed uniformly."
You asked for "idea of proof", and that's the idea: To show that the direction of the velocity is uniformly distributed.Mike_bb said:It's not enough.
It seems to me that you are trying to make a deterministic model of a stochastic process. What you write here is not in the context of randomness.Mike_bb said:Hi all!
In the book there was following expression:
##N\frac{mc_x^2}{2} = \frac{N}{3} \frac{mc^2}{2}##
##c^2 = 3с_x^2##
Explanation: 1/3 of all particles moves along one axis (in both directions).
I depicted 12 particles and their velocities. But I don't understand which 4 molecules move along one axis.
View attachment 364673
Could anyone explain it?
Thanks.
Looking at your drawing here, those numbers are quite wrong. Where are you getting them?Mike_bb said:##<V_x^2> = \frac{1^2+3^2+2^2+7^2+...}{N}##
##<V_y^2> = \frac{(-3)^2+(-1)^2+2^2+7^2+...}{N}##
My post #65 is not about this situation.jbriggs444 said:Looking at your drawing here, those numbers are quite wrong. Where are you getting them?
As I read the drawing, ##v_{1x}## is negative, ##v_{2x}## is positive, ##v_{3x}## is positive and ##v_{4x}## is negative. ##N## is 12 for that situation.
For this proof:weirdoguy said:So what is it about?
So, again, where did those specific numbers come from?Mike_bb said:My post #65 is not about this situation.
These numbers are random but from expressions for ##<V_x^2>## and ##<V_y^2>## we can see that X-axis and Y-axis are equiprobable. (gas is isotropic)jbriggs444 said:So, again, where did those specific numbers come from?
Technically the quoted passage is false. It is an argument, not a valid proof.Mike_bb said:
jbriggs444 said:This illustrates the point that having a uniform distribution of directions is not sufficient to make a velocity distribution isotropic.
I've nothing to add to the responses given in Posts #66 through #73.Mike_bb said:
How can we infer a uniform distribution from a pair of samples that are not?Mike_bb said:Herman Trivilino,
##<V_x^2> = \frac{1^2+3^2+2^2+7^2+...}{N}##
##<V_y^2> = \frac{(-3)^2+(-1)^2+2^2+7^2+...}{N}##
It's my example with random components but uniformly distributed. Is it true? I want to understand.
That may be the idea that he is pursuing. But the argument he made does not use the premise that the velocities are uniformly distributed. Only that their directions are uniformly distributed. That premise is insufficient for the desired conclusion.Herman Trivilino said:But isn't the author arguing that having a uniform distribution of velocities is sufficient to make a uniform distribution of directions?
Ok. How can we infer that ##<V_x^2> = <V_y^2>## if we don't know all components of velocities?jbriggs444 said:How can we infer a uniform distribution from a pair of samples that are not?
From the premise that the velocity distribution is isotropic.Mike_bb said:Ok. How can we infer that ##<V_x^2> = <V_y^2>## if we don't know all components of velocities?
Ok. But I don't understand again. I think that each direction is not specific and particles move randomly in any direction. But how components of velocity vectors depend on it?jbriggs444 said:From the premise that the velocity distribution is isotropic.
If you have one particle, the components of the velocity vector at some chosen time are not isotropic. The particle is [almost certainly] moving in some direction. Its [squared] velocity in that direction is non-zero. Its [squared] velocity in the two orthogonal directions is zero. That is not isotropic.Mike_bb said:Ok. But I don't understand again. I think that each direction is not specific and particles move randomly in any direction. But how components of velocity vectors depend on it?
I can't imagine it.
Mike_bb said:Herman Trivilino,
##<V_x^2> = \frac{1^2+3^2+2^2+7^2+...}{N}##
##<V_y^2> = \frac{(-3)^2+(-1)^2+2^2+7^2+...}{N}##
It's my example with random components but uniformly distributed. Is it true? I want to understand.
Yes! I meant that these numbers are x- and y-components.Herman Trivilino said:the x- and y-components of the velocities, then yes, it would be true.
The x and y components of some set of velocities, yes?Mike_bb said:Yes! I meant that these numbers are x- and y-components.
For example, ##N=10^{23}##jbriggs444 said:The x and y components of some set of velocities, yes?
What set of velocities?
That tells us the sample size. It does not tell us the distribution from which the samples are drawn.Mike_bb said:For example, ##N=10^{23}##
But what are you integrating over?Mike_bb said:
If you are integrating between these limits, you are probably integrating over a distribution rather than over a finite sample. The general form would be ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(x) \text{pdf}(x) dx## where we have arranged that ##\text{pdf}(x)## is a proper probability density function, i.e. ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \text{pdf}(x) dx = 1##.Mike_bb said:But I'm confused because this integral is taking from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty##.
Stop reading that stuff and read a university-level introductory physics textbook. That's the best advice I can give you given that you haven't answered my questions about what you're doing and why. I have to glean from your posts that you are trying to understand something about the distribution of velocities of gas molecules. A university-level introductory physics textbook is the best place for you to do that.Mike_bb said:read now on Wiki how to derive expression for <Vx2> using integral. But I'm confused because this integral is taking from −∞ to +∞.