What does it take to succeed in physics and math?

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discussed the most important factor for success in a student entering a physics or math undergraduate degree and hoping to continue on to a Ph.D. The options of passion, hard work, talent, and a combination of all three were debated. Some argued that hard work alone is the key to success, while others believed that passion is the driving force behind hard work and that talent may also play a role. The conversation concluded that while there may be no substitute for hard work and dedication, passion and talent can also contribute to success in these fields.

Single Most Imporant Predictor of Physics/ Math success

• Hard work

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Inate Ability for science and math

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Combination of inate ability and hard work

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • IQ

• Previous exposure to material in any form

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Passion for the subject

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Previous academic record

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undergrad School Attending

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other( Please post to explain)

• Total voters
lubuntu
Related to my other thread on which I was trying to gather some of the same information, however this format may be more conducive to revealing the answers I am looking for.

Which is the most important factor in success for a student entering a physics or math undergraduate degree and hoping to continue on to a Ph.D. in time?

EDIT:
I forgot one of the key options I wanted to put on so if you think:

"There is no way to determine if you will be able to grok the concepts of advanced Physics or Math until you try it"

vote other and please note such.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Passion!

Although I think this relies on the fact that somebody who is naturally not very good at maths not being passionate about it.

edit: It also relies on somebody who is passionate about it putting in 'hard' work. Although If they enjoy it, the work is not really hard.

if you have talent, great. if not, why bother obsessing about it? if talent can or cannot be developed, the only way to do so is through hard work. why bother with these pointless threads.

everyone who has ever contributed to science has been an obsessive hard worker. i have not yet heard of anyone slacking their entire life and making leaps of discovery. if their mind was average or beyond is something we'll never know. all that is known is they worked extremely hard. you would be wise to follow their footsteps.

khemix said:
if you have talent, great. if not, why bother obsessing about it? if talent can or cannot be developed, the only way to do so is through hard work. why bother with these pointless threads.

everyone who has ever contributed to science has been an obsessive hard worker. i have not yet heard of anyone slacking their entire life and making leaps of discovery. if their mind was average or beyond is something we'll never know. all that is known is they worked extremely hard. you would be wise to follow their footsteps.

This.

I believe that, with the exception of the true greats (Einstein, Gauss, Newton, etc.), most physicists and mathematicians do no possesses much more innate ability for the subject than most college-capable people. They were just lucky to have parents and/or mentors who steered them along that path, and the ability to dedicate themselves to something for an extensive period of time. Someone of average ability (like myself) can certainly make up for it with extensive studying and practice. And there have, of course, been many, many documented geniuses (in terms of IQ) throughout the years who did not accomplish anything significant because they lacked the drive to work hard in the field.

Ideally, one would have both genius and drive, but that's so rare that it's unreasonable to say that these two qualities exclusively account for success.

khemix said:

khemix the point of the thread is to discover the opinion of people who have succeed in these areas as to what the the most important quality is. You voiced that opinion as hard work and make a good case for that. I am not trying to figure out if there is a way to cheat myself into being a great scientist I just wanted peoples' opinions. Why is the thread then pointless?

This thread is pointless because you will not gather only the opinion of successful scientists. Your methodology is quite poor for your stated purpose.

Successful scientists will tell you that it is hard work alone - end of story.

will.c said:

That has got to be wrong :approve:

I believe that you have to have great amount of understanding and good amount of practice and not forget imagination( especially when dealing with sciences ) . since math+ physics are not easy subjects, I believe that people who were exposed to the material when they were in middle school ( like people from 3rd world countries ) will have more understanding than those who began to learn it in college, and you really really have to work hard and spend some quality time with the book.

Passion for a subject and dedication, 99% of the time this will trump a gifted person who doesn't give a #$#@.

will.c said:

Seems very presumptuous. I assume you have surveyed the vast bulk of successful scientists and they have turned out to be so homogeneous in their responses.

Personally I think that passion precedes the desire to work hard, and talent generally precedes passion. Talent might depend on i.q. I don't think that by general measure most successful scientists and mathematicians are lacking in the i.q. department either. Especially those involved in the more theoretical/abstract work.

Bourbaki1123 said:
Seems very presumptuous. I assume you have surveyed the vast bulk of successful scientists and they have turned out to be so homogeneous in their responses.

Personally I think that passion precedes the desire to work hard, and talent generally precedes passion. Talent might depend on i.q. I don't think that by general measure most successful scientists and mathematicians are lacking in the i.q. department either. Especially those involved in the more theoretical/abstract work.

As they say, the bad news is there is no substitute for time in the lab. The good news is there is no substitute for time in the lab. While this might not be as true for theorists, there is no longer any place for the "lazy genius" in science. I have talked to a great many very successful scientists, in fact, and not a one of them has ever told me that they got to where they are by being super brilliant, or just passionate about their work. They wanted success, they put in the work it took do be successful. Simple story.

will.c said:
As they say, the bad news is there is no substitute for time in the lab. The good news is there is no substitute for time in the lab. While this might not be as true for theorists, there is no longer any place for the "lazy genius" in science. I have talked to a great many very successful scientists, in fact, and not a one of them has ever told me that they got to where they are by being super brilliant, or just passionate about their work. They wanted success, they put in the work it took do be successful. Simple story.

Yes, that is true, but you still need some sort of baseline for intelligence. I would think most people cannot get the math for the final year of high school, let alone quantum mechanics (or <insert upper level phys/math course here>). It might be because they simply aren't interested, but there are also those who choose those (high school!) math courses as an elective (so it's voluntary) - and no matter how hard they try, they end up near failing or ~60%. And that's not even calculus yet.

But other than that, I certainly agree with you that hard work beats sheer genius any time, provided both of them are able to get there.

I voted hard work... because I've read about this term called neuroplasticity.

But I think emotional stability is the main factor here. All my opinions:

1. No false motives. You did not take up the career choice for boasting rights; you're not trying to "measure up" to your peers or family members like you got to prove something.

2. You selected the career choice purely on your interests, you probably like to daydream about things related to math & physics.

3. Accepting the fact that you'll probably have little or no time for yourself anymore without losing your peace of mind ; a.k.a sacrificing your current lifestyle and (the way I see - choosing a new persona for yourself in society like, "I am going to be a mathematician, and that's what my life is going to be about"

4. Emotional stability.
5. Emotional stability. Just how sure and determined are you?

6. Visit a cognitive psychologist.

Imagination.

A great *physics* mentor, and (without great luck) the chutzpah to go out and find one...

Examples abound. Faraday's pursuit of Davy is perhaps the purest example. Note, also, he put in some hard work before and after finding his mentor. Note, also, Davy (and his wife) treated Faraday badly at the social & career level, but Davy had to treat him well at the scientific level as (i) Faraday was prepared to put up with him without recourse to drink (ii) he made himself indispensable to Davy's work.

So don't look (primarily) for the 'nice guy' mentor. Look for the genius-earth-shaker and put up with his evil ways while learning everything you can from him.

hard work + smarts

Luck.

cristo said:
Luck.

I completely disagree with that.

lubuntu said:
I completely disagree with that.

Then you'd be wrong. You have to have some luck in that the projects you work on go somewhere, otherwise you won't be a successful scientist.

I never went into graduate studies in math or science.. so I'm not sure if my advice would relate to the question you are asking..

But for me, Math came naturally, it was like another language that was easy to communicate in and to learn new concepts with minimal practice.

Physics was a different story. I had a sh!tty HS physics teacher and I went to an engineering school where physics was taught by a top professor. I essentially went into that class not knowing anything. But at the time, I was trying to keep a perfect GPA, so I told myself I wouldn't settle for anything less than the best, and I would practice the material until I knew it like the back of my hand.

So I'd go to the nightly study sessions for the 'slower' kids, I'd practice the homework with friends, I'd look at practice tests and work them through completely over and over again. That took a lot of hard work, and I could have ended up with a B in the course and still been satisfied that I gave it my all.

My hard work paid off, and I was recognized as the top student on our 3rd exam in the semester. That brought on a lot of unnecessary attention, and I had every frat kid under the sun asking me for help.. and that's when I started teaching it to my peers, not the frat ones of course.So, if you want to succeed bad enough, you give it your best and then some. Do more than the person next to you, because that's what it comes down to in real life also.

cristo said:
Luck.

teach me how to increase my luck oh mighty one

You can't. You can only hope for some.

"Combination of inate ability and hard work".

I remenber once reading that one of Isaac Newton's talent was that he had no intellectual fatigue. He never gave up on a problem and used to stick on it for hours and hours even days! Sometimes without sleeping or eating.

Man, only the lucky ones get all the luck.

There are other factors: a suitable advisor, a right area,...but in my opinion, the most important factor is hard work.

I conjecture that most of us do not work in the "optimal area" for our different innate abilities.

I wonder how much difference that makes though. As a student I always wondered had I selected area B, it would be much better than me going into area A.

In my opinion, passion. But I think hard work, aptitude and passion are interwoven in a way such that it's rare to see people with a serious deficiency in one of them.

Je m'appelle said:
"Combination of inate ability and hard work".

I remenber once reading that one of Isaac Newton's talent was that he had no intellectual fatigue. He never gave up on a problem and used to stick on it for hours and hours even days! Sometimes without sleeping or eating.

Dear lord... those scientists need to hurry their **** up. Give me the super pill already.

Brains+Hard Work+Luck.

I think hard work is overrated unless you're an experimentalist. Theoretical physicists do a lot of studying, but I doubt that guys like Einstein or Heisenberg were particularly hard workers. They were just extraordinarily talented men.

exposure

if you learned something, you won

Brian_C said:
I think hard work is overrated unless you're an experimentalist. Theoretical physicists do a lot of studying, but I doubt that guys like Einstein or Heisenberg were particularly hard workers. They were just extraordinarily talented men.

I believe they were lucky more than talented.
You need luck in this game, and you can't quantify luck.

loop quantum gravity said:
I believe they were lucky more than talented.
You need luck in this game, and you can't quantify luck.

Luck in theoretical physics? It's theoretical and abstract. It begins in your head. I could see how good fortune might assist the prepared experimentalist but not so much the theoretical physicist.

Shackleford said:
Luck in theoretical physics? It's theoretical and abstract. It begins in your head. I could see how good fortune might assist the prepared experimentalist but not so much the theoretical physicist.

You need an amount of luck so that the subject you work on gets funding, or an experiment to disprove your theory is funded, etc.

cristo said:
You need an amount of luck so that the subject you work on gets funding, or an experiment to disprove your theory is funded, etc.

Well, part of that is business savvy, though, too, being able to effectively market yourself and your research. Networking is a very very powerful tool in business, the corporate world, academia, etc.