Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does the 1.00 GHz refer to in the description of my CPU

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    My control panel gives the following description of the CPU or processor on my computer: AMD C-70 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.00 GHz

What does the 1.00 GHz signify in the description of my processor? I know that 1.00 is a frequency that means 1.00 Gigahertz, but what in my CPU is oscillating at 1.00 Gigahertz?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3

Hesch

Gold Member

That is the clock frequency.

Your CPU may contain a frequency multiplier. I don't know your CPU, but say it multiplies an external clock frequency by 10, then an external crystal oscillator with a clock frequency = 100 MHz is connected, and the internal clock ferquency in the CPU will become 10*100 MHz = 1000 MHz = 1 GHz.

When the CPU processes operations like "add register bx to register ax", it could spend 4 clock cycles to do that operation, thus using 4 ns.

So the clock frequency indicates how fast your CPU can execute some program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook