Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does "the Higgs Boson destroys itself" means?

1. Jan 7, 2015 #1
    I was reading a book that said the Higgs Boson destroys itself within trillionth of a second, I really did not understand this, so what does it mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It decays. Just as a muon or a tau lepton would but much much faster.

4. Aug 26, 2015 #3
    If the Higgs Boson decays, what does it change into? What happens to the particles which were previously interacting with the higgs field?

5. Aug 26, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

6. Aug 26, 2015 #5
    I think first increasing my knowledge in the subject and then putting up questions will be better.
    Your answer has definitely given me a basic idea.
    Could you tell me names of some good books on particle physics for beginners?
    Thanks.

7. Aug 27, 2015 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

The Higgs boson can potentially decay to all fermions. It's just that the bottoms (from quarks) or taus (from leptons) are the most likely from each...
    The bosons W,Z are fine.

8. Aug 27, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The top quark is heavier than the Higgs ...

9. Aug 27, 2015 #8

ChrisVer

Gold Member

yes... I considered it trivial... on shell tops are impossible from energy conservation.

10. Aug 27, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

An off-shell Higgs can decay to two top quarks. The rate is larger than one would naively expect. I don't think it has been studied yet, but it certainly has for on-shell WW and ZZ (ATLAS, CMS).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook