What does "the Higgs Boson destroys itself" means?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Higgs Boson decaying within a trillionth of a second and what happens to the particles it interacts with. A Google search led to a website explaining the various decay modes of the Higgs Boson and how the Higgs field remains after the decay. The conversation also mentions the potential decays to fermions and bosons, with the top quark being the heaviest option.
Quds Akbar
I was reading a book that said the Higgs Boson destroys itself within trillionth of a second, I really did not understand this, so what does it mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
It decays. Just as a muon or a tau lepton would but much much faster.

If the Higgs Boson decays, what does it change into? What happens to the particles which were previously interacting with the higgs field?

A Google search for "higgs boson decay modes" led me to this page:

http://www.particleadventure.org/the-higgs-boson-decays-into-other-particles.html

After a Higgs particle (which is an excitation of the Higgs field) decays, the Higgs field is still there. As a crude analogy, after a water wave dies out, the water is still there.

I think first increasing my knowledge in the subject and then putting up questions will be better.
Your answer has definitely given me a basic idea.
Could you tell me names of some good books on particle physics for beginners?
Thanks.

The Higgs boson can potentially decay to all fermions. It's just that the bottoms (from quarks) or taus (from leptons) are the most likely from each...
The bosons W,Z are fine.

ChrisVer said:
The Higgs boson can potentially decay to all fermions

The top quark is heavier than the Higgs ...

Orodruin said:
The top quark is heavier than the Higgs ...
yes... I considered it trivial... on shell tops are impossible from energy conservation.

An off-shell Higgs can decay to two top quarks. The rate is larger than one would naively expect. I don't think it has been studied yet, but it certainly has for on-shell WW and ZZ (ATLAS, CMS).

1. What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give mass to all other particles in the universe. It was first theorized in the 1960s and was finally discovered in 2012 by scientists at the Large Hadron Collider.

2. How does the Higgs Boson destroy itself?

The Higgs Boson does not literally destroy itself, but rather it decays into other particles after a very short amount of time. This decay process is a fundamental property of subatomic particles and is a key aspect of understanding the Higgs Boson.

3. Why is the Higgs Boson's self-destruction important?

The Higgs Boson's decay process provides valuable information about the particle's properties and interactions with other particles. By studying this process, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe.

4. What does the Higgs Boson's self-destruction tell us about the universe?

The Higgs Boson's decay process is a crucial piece of evidence that supports the Standard Model of particle physics. It also helps explain the origins of mass and how particles acquire it, which is a key component in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.

5. Can the Higgs Boson be recreated or destroyed in a laboratory?

Yes, the Higgs Boson can be created and observed in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. However, it cannot be destroyed as it is a fundamental particle and cannot be broken down into smaller components.