Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,387
- 1,653
Mister T said:That's what I was trying to explain to you in Post #7.
renormalize said:Yes, and as I tried to do in post #34 and @vela in post #60.
I gave you a single diagram showing that, including where there is 20 kg force.DaveC426913 said:I'm starting to understand how to inuit the 10kg reading in the scale without resorting to altering the scenario.
We only need to look at one tiny section of the diagram:
A 10kg mass is supported on a string. It is static, meaning something is holding it up else it would fall.
View attachment 363781
We (i.e. a layperson) can immediately see that any scale above this would read 10kg. The string is under 10kg of tension (100 Newtons, if you wish.)
We expand our scope:
View attachment 363782
Nothin has changed. Everything is static. String is still under 10kg tension.
We expand again:
View attachment 363783
Literally nothing has changed. All I've done is show more of the setup.
It must still be under 10kg of tension. And indeed, our spring scale says so.
View attachment 363784
Again, nothing has changed.
Finally, we reveal what has ensured the string and mass stays static:
View attachment 363785
Even the layperson will have to acknowledge that merely revealing what is hidden cannot suddenly change the reading on the scale from 10kg to 20kg.
That wasn't quite what I had been appealing for; I'd been appealing for it a single diagram, labeled in such away as to show why it works. But at least the above doesn't require altering the scenario.
Yeah. I could not have gotten here without you.PAllen said:I gave you a single diagram showing that, including where there is 20 kg force.
Refer to the original diagram in post #1.DaveC426913 said:The only difference here is that I haven't resorted to an alternate diagram/scenario to explain the principle; I wanted to remain entirely with the original diagram/scenario.
Yes. This is a very difficult concept for the layperson to grasp in one go.kuruman said:*How do we know that? Simple logic. In order to measure a force with a gadget, we need to exert the unknown force on the gadget, but we don't want the gadget to accelerate. Therefore, we need to apply an equal and opposite "stopper" force to keep the gadget at rest. However, that second force does not count. Only the unknown force counts and that's what the gadget displays. In your original diagram one of the weights is being measured and the other serves as the "stopper" force. Obviously, it doesn't matter which is which.
I think it would be easy to explain to a layperson how force scales work. I outlined the gist of my explanation post #185 footnote. Laypersons do not consciously appreciate the importance of the equal and opposite "stopper" force although they make sure that it's there before they use a spring scale. If Alice, a layperson, wants to find the weight of a bunch of bananas, she would first hang the scale from a fixed support and then place the bananas in the tray. She already knows that if she placed the bananas in the tray and then let go of the scale without anchoring the other end, the bananas and tray would be in free fall.DaveC426913 said:Yes. This is a very difficult concept for the layperson to grasp in one go.
I am not a layperson; I have been a very active PF member for decades, and I still struggle with this.
Yes. We take for granted that things hang, and that the ceiling exerts its own force.kuruman said:I think it would be easy to explain to a layperson how force scales work. I outlined the gist of my explanation post #185 footnote. Laypersons do not consciously appreciate the importance of the equal and opposite "stopper" force although they make sure that it's there before they use a spring scale. If Alice, a layperson, wants to find the weight of a bunch of bananas, she would first hang the scale from a fixed support and then place the bananas in the tray. She already knows that if she placed the bananas in the tray and then let go of the scale without anchoring the other end, the bananas and tray would be in free fall.
So if I were to explain this to Alice, I would first ask her to explain to me, in her own words, why it is necessary to hang the scale from the ceiling before placing the bananas in the tray and then lead her to the goal of what a spring scale reads. I would start by exploring her answer to "what, do you think, the scale would read if there were bananas in the tray and the tray were in free fall?"
It's difficult to predict, without experimenting, how a person will react to an explanation. Ask someone who thinks there's no gravity on the moon what holds the astronauts down. Some will then concede that there must be gravity but a very common response is "their boots"!kuruman said:I think it would be easy to explain to a layperson how force scales work
DaveC426913 said:Yes. We take for granted that things hang, and that the ceiling exerts its own force.
'We' being laypeople.kuruman said:We do take it for granted
This is where, having had it explained, laypeople begin to cease taking it for granted.kuruman said:. Everybody should agree that there is a stopping force behind the screen the prevents the weight on the left from falling down.
A stopping force is a stopping force. It makes no difference if the other end of the string is (a) attached to a rigid wall, (b) is held by Bob hiding behind the screen, (c) goes over another pulley and is tied to the floor or (d) goes over another pulley to another 10 kg hanging mass.
Yes.kuruman said:That's what should be pointed out to anyone who is unsure. If they are still unsure, it is worth asking them whether they believe that, when any of (a) - (c) above is surreptitiously replaced by (d) behind the screen, they will see a jump in the reading of scale. Those who do are laboring under a faulty logic based on their everyday observation of spring scales. It's probably something like this.
I know what you're trying to say but the figure doesn't look right. I assume that the vertical scale is attached to the horizontal scale. The point of attachment is in equilibrium. I can see the horizontal forces cancelling at the point of attachment but what cancels the vertical tension at that point? The string going from pulley to pulley should be drawn as two equal sides of an isosceles triangle, not a straight line.Andrew Mason said:
That's a detail. Pretend the string is in a rigid horizontal tube so it is not deflected.kuruman said:I know what you're trying to say but the figure doesn't look right. I assume that the vertical scale is attached to the horizontal scale. The point of attachment is in equilibrium. I can see the horizontal forces cancelling at the point of attachment but what cancels the vertical tension at that point? The string going from pulley to pulley should be drawn as two equal sides of an isosceles triangle, not a straight line.
In defense of math, the same thing occurs in English.OmCheeto said:2. 7th grade teacher giving me an F on an exam where I had every answer right
Me; "Why?"
Teacher; "You didn't show your work, so you cheated."
Me; "But I knew the answers"
Teacher; "Pffft! You still get an F"

DaveC426913 said:Yes. We take for granted that things hang, and that the ceiling exerts its own force.
By the way, I did run this past a number of laypeople, as well as the smartest person I know - an engineer. They all got it wrong.
After I walked him through it, the smartest person I know was silent for several minutes, you could hear his brain cogs squeaking.
This was on Michio Kaku's forum. Which I was later to learn was hosted by a high school kid who was ""failing"" so he tried something and it turned into THIS.OmCheeto said:4.5 Ran across people who were smarter than I was on the internet who claimed to know their IQs.
I have never read that story, and hence, have zero knowledge of this 'Shylock' of whom you speak.DaveC426913 said:In defense of math, the same thing occurs in English.
OmCheeto's exam essay: "Shylock was definitely a nasty dude."
Teacher: "You get an F."
OmCheeto: "But I got the right answer!"
Teacher: "You didn't show your work."
![]()
Ok. Suppose the top vertical scale was directly connected to the rigid (but massless) pulleys and frame like this:kuruman said:I know what you're trying to say but the figure doesn't look right. I assume that the vertical scale is attached to the horizontal scale. The point of attachment is in equilibrium. I can see the horizontal forces cancelling at the point of attachment but what cancels the vertical tension at that point? The string going from pulley to pulley should be drawn as two equal sides of an isosceles triangle, not a straight line.
He was a bad guy.OmCheeto said:I have never read that story, and hence, have zero knowledge of this 'Shylock' of whom you speak.
And therefore don't understand any of your post.
Did you consider doing a Google search on the word Shylock? That would be the normal PF response one would expect for a "don't know and don't want to know" comment. Old writers made wide use of insulting racial stereotypes but they are still worth reading.OmCheeto said:I have never read that story, and hence, have zero knowledge of this 'Shylock' of whom you speak.
It was a riff off a riff so I wasn't checking homework.sophiecentaur said:Did you consider doing a Google search on the word Shylock? That would be the normal PF response
From the first 6 words in my response, it appears that I did in fact do a google search.sophiecentaur said:Did you consider doing a Google search on the word Shylock? That would be the normal PF response one would expect for a "don't know and don't want to know" comment. Old writers made wide use of insulting racial stereotypes but they are still worth reading.
PS I see your grammar is fine and you use 'whom' when appropriate - so you're not a bad person.And you still manage to keep me guessing.
![]()
Multiple negatives have always confused me.DaveC426913 said:He was a bad guy.
An essay that about somebody being a bad guy that does not demonstrate how he was a bad guy would surely fail, no?
Sometimes they're necessary. A double negative is not always synonymous with a positive.OmCheeto said:Multiple negatives have always confused me.