Unlocking Knowledge: The Value of Attending Eminent Speakers' Lectures"

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary, these lectures provide advice on attending lectures that are worth attending. They can help you understand the principles at work and what is important in building a car.
heman
What does these provide?

Hiii,,

There is some advice i want to take from your side,about lectures like we have here in our college on various topics from Eminent Scientists/Professors/Experts all over the world ...for example last week we had

1. INSTITUTE LECTURE
on
“Reflections on the Legacy of Harish-Chandra”

by

Professor Robert P. Langlands
Institute of Advanced Studies
Princeton, USA

2.Dr. Felix Kogan, Senior Scientist, NOAA, USA delivered a lecture on
> "Satellite-based Observing System for Monitoring Environment and
> Socioeconomic Activities".

I just gave 2 examples...like this lot of lectures go on..So my Point is it worth attending these lectures...My point is that they go at their own speed and only guy which has knowledge can understand that..

But what purpose can they serve...as may be labor without thought,labor lost..

So these were just 2 examples and i attended both of them...in the first lecture i could not even grasp a trace of what Langlands said...and in second i somewhat managed to get something...

So i ask you ,is it worth attending these kind of Lectures or what should i do so that i can get ..what they want to said because understanding nothing gives no motivation for attending lectures...

Physics news on Phys.org
Only you can decide if it's worth attending. If you're young you probably won't get much out of the lectures, Once you get alittle more experience you'll start getting more.

I'm personally at that point where "Im young and i probably won't get much out of those lectures" but i do attend the colloquiums our university has. If its open to the public, the lecturer normally (hopefully) will tailor their lecture towards the idea that they are presenting to people from all walks of their field; people who do not even seriously study the topic, undergrads barely starting out, people about to graduate, graduate students, professors, possibly even experts in their specialization. For me as an undergrad, I don't necessarily understand most of what's going on but it really is a way to see where the science is at the moment.

I guess it's kind of like building your own car and then walking into some trade show. You start to know what's going on, you are beginning to understand the principles at work and you may have a feeling as to what is important in building a car. When you go to a trade show, now you have all this expertise actually showing you what is the more important and more complex aspects of building a car and how far people have come from where you are at.

So it's really a roadmap as opposed to a learning experience if you're young.

The ones I can go to I do, even though usually I'm not yet knowledgeable enough to even fathom what they are talking about. I went to a 'talk' by a guy who won the nobel prize in chemistry, and I suppose even if I didn't understand a lot of the concepts of what he did, it was inspirational if anything lol.

Pengwuino said:
I'm personally at that point where "Im young and i probably won't get much out of those lectures" but i do attend the colloquiums our university has. If its open to the public, the lecturer normally (hopefully) will tailor their lecture towards the idea that they are presenting to people from all walks of their field; people who do not even seriously study the topic, undergrads barely starting out, people about to graduate, graduate students, professors, possibly even experts in their specialization. For me as an undergrad, I don't necessarily understand most of what's going on but it really is a way to see where the science is at the moment.

I guess it's kind of like building your own car and then walking into some trade show. You start to know what's going on, you are beginning to understand the principles at work and you may have a feeling as to what is important in building a car. When you go to a trade show, now you have all this expertise actually showing you what is the more important and more complex aspects of building a car and how far people have come from where you are at.

So it's really a roadmap as opposed to a learning experience if you're young.

that sounds cool ..and i absolutely agree that it helps us analyse and see the limits..how far the things have gone and progressed..

Listening to Langlands is a privilege (and he is the author of the langlands project i mentioned to you in a pm). Harish-Chandra theory is something I occasionally meet and is very important. So I would jump at the chance to listen to this series. However, my position is somewhat different to yours, and I see no reason why you'd want to go. You won't get anything from it, not even some sense of motivation since you will be completely lost from word one and not in the right frame of mind to get anything inspirational out of it (he might as well be talking a different language for what it's worth), but that is just the nature of mathematics for you.

I cannot comment on the others.

Last edited:
just some new words added to my dictionary...

i would like to ask you something which was reflected in the other guy's speech...

NOAA through the use of satellite has expertised in estimating where the droughts can take place,fire and possibly even disastrous thing..

So one guy asked "Do you inform the region which lack in technology like Horn of Africa that soon a major drought is going to happen so that they can prepare themselves.""

I was amazed at the guy's answer ,he said that "we don't give any suggestions.Its not our job,we do only research."
This thing sticked to my mind and i kept thinking,,why is that.?

heman said:
So one guy asked "Do you inform the region which lack in technology like Horn of Africa that soon a major drought is going to happen so that they can prepare themselves.""

I was amazed at the guy's answer ,he said that "we don't give any suggestions.Its not our job,we do only research."

How often is your weatherman correct?

heman said:
just some new words added to my dictionary...

i would like to ask you something which was reflected in the other guy's speech...

NOAA through the use of satellite has expertised in estimating where the droughts can take place,fire and possibly even disastrous thing..

Because if they went around making policy decisions all the time they'd get no research done. Its the responsibility of those who actually make policy decisions to keep track of this. At most, NOAA would make some kind of notification, not the actual researchers.

RVBUCKEYE said:
How often is your weatherman correct?

Well that guy claimed that they have been more successful than anyother in depicting the situations and at some point he compared NASA..

Well actually its national interest what i think it to be..

heman said:
Well that guy claimed that they have been more successful than anyother in depicting the situations and at some point he compared NASA..

Well actually its national interest what i think it to be..

I'm sure the locals have access to some sort of data used to predict the same things. (ie. we have a farmers almanac).

I'm not trying to imply just because you might be wrong you shouldn't give a heads up...but I'm sure it's a lot more complicated when you talk about spending valuable resources (which Africa doesn't have) on something that may or may not happen.

We had a series of 4 lectures by Prof. Langlands as well(possibly, he's touring India)...the topic being "Probabilistic Statistical Mechanics".
I just went there to get a glimpse of the legend( I attended only the first one)...

its nice to hear that...so how was the experience>/...you are in which college Mansi by the way..

What is the purpose of attending eminent speakers' lectures?

The purpose of attending eminent speakers' lectures is to gain knowledge and insights from experts in a particular field. These speakers have a wealth of experience and information that can expand our understanding and provide valuable insights.

How can attending these lectures benefit my career?

Attending eminent speakers' lectures can benefit your career in several ways. You can gain new knowledge and skills that can make you a more valuable asset to your organization. Additionally, networking opportunities at these events can help you establish connections and open up new career opportunities.

What can I expect to learn from these lectures?

The topics covered in eminent speakers' lectures can vary greatly, but they often focus on cutting-edge research, emerging trends, and innovative ideas in a particular field. You can expect to learn new information, perspectives, and ideas that can broaden your understanding of the subject matter.

How can I find out about upcoming eminent speakers' lectures?

You can find out about upcoming eminent speakers' lectures through various sources, such as university websites, event calendars, and professional organizations. You can also follow eminent speakers and organizations on social media to stay updated on their upcoming events.

Is it worth the time and effort to attend these lectures?

Attending eminent speakers' lectures can be highly beneficial, but it ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. If you are seeking to expand your knowledge, gain insights, and make valuable connections, then it is definitely worth the time and effort. It can also be a great opportunity to stay updated on the latest developments in your field and enhance your professional growth.