What does this equation tell me 2^a=3^b-1

• Thread starter .d9n.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding solutions for an equation with non-negative integer variables. The equation is 2^x + 3^y = z^2, and the solution involves taking logs and solving for either variable in terms of the other. The conversation also discusses the constraint that z^2 is congruent to 1 (mod 3), and the possibility of x being odd or even. Ultimately, the solution involves setting (z-2^k)=3^a and (z+2^k)=3^b and finding the values of a and b by considering the divisibility of 2^x by 3. The conversation concludes with finding the three possible solutions for a and b, which correspond
.d9n.

Homework Statement

what does this equation tell me 2^a=3^b-1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

its meant to be telling me something but I am not sure what

Physics news on Phys.org
.d9n. said:

Homework Statement

what does this equation tell me 2^a=3^b-1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

its meant to be telling me something but I am not sure what

Well more of the question would be useful, but it you want a solution of either variable in terms of the other take logs on both sides and solve.

this is what i haveWe are looking for solutions of:
2^x + 3^y = z^2 [1]
where x, y, and z are non-negative integers.
So z^2 ≡1 (mod 3) unless z^2=3m for any integer m, and if x is odd, say x=(2k+1) for some integer k. However when z=3, we have 2^3+3^0=3^2, so one solution is when x=3,y=0 and z=3 When x is odd 2^(2k+1)≡2(mod 3) and when x is even 2^x≡1 (mod3) so z^2 is congrgent to 2^x when x is even.
We now know x is even, let x=2k. So we have:
3^y=(z-2^k )(z+2^k )
Now (z-2^k ) and (z+2^k ) should both be powers of three, so therefore (z+2^k )-(z-2^k ) should equal a power of three, so
3^w=(z+2^k )-(z-2^k )
3^w≠2^2k=2^x
So 2^x should be divisible by three, but it isn’t. So let (z-2^k )=3^a and (z+2^k )=3^b then we have
█((z+2^k )=3^b@(z-2^k )=3^a )/(2^(k+1)=3^b-3^a )
If a>0 then 3^b-3^a will be a power of three and 2^(k+1) is not divisible by three, so let a=0. We are left with
2^(k+1)=3^b-1
Let a=k+1, then we have 2^a=3^b-1.So this means that b≥0, otherwise 2^a won't be an integer, which means a≥1. Also a≤3 because if k>2, then 3^b≡1mod(8) which is a contradiction, so therefore a has to be either 1,2 or 3, making k=0,1 or 2.
When k=0 we have
2^1=3^b-1 → 3=3^1 so therefore b=1 and
When k=1 we have
2^2≠3^b-1 so therefore k=1 doesn’t exist.
When k=2 we have
2^3=3^b-1 → 9=3^b so therefore b=2.

We are looking for solutions of:
2^x + 3^y = z^2 [1]
where x, y, and z are non-negative integers.
So z^2 ≡1 (mod 3) unless z^2=3m for any integer m, and if x is odd, say x=(2k+1) for some integer k. However when z=3, we have 2^3+3^0=3^2, so one solution is when x=3,y=0 and z=3 When x is odd 2^(2k+1)≡2(mod 3) and when x is even 2^x≡1 (mod3) so z^2 is congrgent to 2^x when x is even.
We now know x is even, let x=2k. So we have:
3^y=(z-2^k )(z+2^k )
Now (z-2^k ) and (z+2^k ) should both be powers of three, so therefore (z+2^k )-(z-2^k ) should equal a power of three, so
3^w=(z+2^k )-(z-2^k )
3^w≠2^2k=2^x
So 2^x should be divisible by three, but it isn’t. So let (z-2^k )=3^a and (z+2^k )=3^b then we have
█((z+2^k )=3^b@(z-2^k )=3^a )/(2^(k+1)=3^b-3^a )
If a>0 then 3^b-3^a will be a power of three and 2^(k+1) is not divisible by three, so let a=0. We are left with
2^(k+1)=3^b-1
Let a=k+1, then we have 2^a=3^b-1.So this means that b≥0, otherwise 2^a won't be an integer, which means a≥1. Also a≤3 because if k>2, then 3^b≡1mod(8) which is a contradiction, so therefore a has to be either 1,2 or 3, making k=0,1 or 2.
When k=0 we have
2^1=3^b-1 → 3=3^1 so therefore b=1 and
When k=1 we have
2^2≠3^b-1 so therefore k=1 doesn’t exist.
When k=2 we have
2^3=3^b-1 → 9=3^b so therefore b=2.

its the bit where i get to a<=3, I am not sure what this is meant to be telling me

What does this equation mean?

This equation represents a relationship between two variables, a and b, where the value of 2^a is equal to the value of 3^b - 1.

What are the solutions to this equation?

There are infinitely many solutions to this equation, as a and b can take on any value that satisfies the equation. Some possible solutions are a=1 and b=1, a=2 and b=2, and a=3 and b=4.

How can I solve this equation?

This equation cannot be solved algebraically for specific values of a and b, as there are infinitely many solutions. However, it can be graphed to visualize the relationship between a and b, and specific values can be plugged in to see if they satisfy the equation.

What are the implications of this equation?

This equation could have many implications, depending on the context in which it is being used. It could represent a mathematical relationship between two quantities, or it could be used in a scientific or engineering application to model a real-world phenomenon.

What are the limitations of this equation?

This equation is limited in that it only represents a relationship between two variables, and it cannot give specific values for those variables. It also may not accurately model all situations, as it is a simplified representation and may not account for all factors at play.