What does this mean? (how good a school/program is)

In summary, a school's computer science program may be better if it has a higher "reputation" score from Maclean's Magazine.
ilii
Hi,

I often hear people say that a certain program (i.e. computer science, maths, etc) is better at one school than at another. For example, here in Canada a lot of people say that if you want to enter into computer science you should go to the University of Waterloo, because they have a really good computer science program. I am not sure what this means. Is the material covered better explained by the profs? what determines the quality of the program? will you learn more efficiently in a good program?

Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
It usually has to do with the reputation of the professors, the department's funding, the available labs, maybe the funding for the students, the quality of the program's research output.

Of course, it's a very vague description, and there can be a lot of variation. For instance, a department (or school) may be "lower ranked" yet still have one or two professors that are famous experts in their particular sub field.

Ok, I think I have a better picture now, thanks

It should also be noted that success in terms of research reputation and success in terms of teaching are not the same thing. I have seen cases of super-star researchers with >100k citations doing a horrible job at teaching, and on the other hand, I was super-happy with my undergrad university which could maybe be best described as a "Top 500 in the World!"-class institution. I do not think I could have gotten a better education elsewhere.

If in doubt, I would recommend going to the place where the corresponding program is *larger*. A larger department with more professors in a specific area indicates that they take this area seriously, and also that there is much expertise and choice in various sub-disciplines. This increases the chance of finding something fascinating one might never have thought of before.

It's good to be asking this question, because I find it's not all that uncommon for people touting one program's superiority to another have no idea what they're talking about.

In Canada, Maclean's Magazine ranks universities annually and they use a metric based on a number of measurements. Some of these are subjective such as repuation scores through surveys. Others are more objective such as student to professor ratio, department funding, scholarships, publication quantity, etc.

So when someone one school or department comes out better than another, it comes out that way based on the metric used. Some schools will specifically make an effort to increase their scores in these things - sometimes to the detriment of increasing other factors that are more important to students or faculty.

What this means is that as a student, you need to do your homework and figure out what's important to you. For example, when I was an undergraduate, it was important that a school have volunteer opportunities that I was interested in. An external ranking system couldn't measure that because it couldn't weight the volunteer opportunities according to my interests.

very interesting thank you everyone

FAQ: What does this mean? (how good a school/program is)

1. What factors determine the quality of a school or program?

The quality of a school or program is typically determined by a combination of factors, including the curriculum, faculty, resources, accreditation, student support services, and overall reputation.

2. How can I find out the ranking of a school or program?

There are various ranking systems and organizations that evaluate and rank schools and programs based on different criteria. Some popular ones include U.S. News & World Report, Forbes, and The Princeton Review. It's important to consider the methodology and criteria used by each ranking system before making a decision based on their rankings.

3. What does accreditation mean for a school or program?

Accreditation is a process in which an external organization evaluates a school or program to ensure it meets certain standards of quality and rigor. It is important to choose a school or program that is accredited, as it signifies that it has met certain standards and is recognized as a reputable institution.

4. How can I determine if a school or program is a good fit for me?

The best way to determine if a school or program is a good fit for you is to research and visit the campus, talk to current or former students, and consider your own academic and career goals. It's also important to consider factors such as location, cost, and the availability of resources and support services that align with your needs.

5. How important is a school or program's reputation?

A school or program's reputation can be a factor in determining its quality, but it should not be the sole determining factor. It's important to consider other factors such as curriculum, faculty, and resources, as well as your own personal goals and preferences. Keep in mind that a school or program's reputation can also be subjective and may not necessarily reflect the actual quality of education it provides.