What Electric Field is Needed to Undeflect Electrons in a Magnetic Field?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stryker321
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Stryker321
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A beam of electrons is accelerated through a potential difference of 11kV before entering a velocity selector. If the B-field of the velocity selector is perpendicular to the velocity and has a value of 0.05 T, what value of the E-field is required (in the magnetic field region) if the particles are to be undeflected?

What I know:
F = qvB
and
F = qE

Therefore E = vB

But how on Earth do I find the velocity? Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Stryker321 said:
But how on Earth do I find the velocity? Please help!

Read this again:
"A beam of electrons is accelerated through a potential difference of 11kV"
What energy will the electrons have?