What enables light to go at such speeds?

• Thread starter AbsoluteZer0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, light can travel at the fastest known speed because it has no rest-mass. When an object increases in speed, its mass increases according to the equation m = mo/√(1 - v2/c2). However, light always goes at exactly the speed of light and does not increase in speed as it has no mass. The measurements for the neutrino suggest that there may be an even faster speed than what we currently know.
AbsoluteZer0
Hello,

As I understand, light can travel at the fastest known speed.
What enables it to do so? What prevents us, and other objects, from accelerating to such speeds?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello AbsoluteZer0! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Because light has no rest-mass, and we have! :smile:

Thanks,

I heard that when an object increases in speed, it's mass increases. Is this true?
If it's true, does that mean that when light increases in speed it's mass at, for example 30 km/s, is less than that of another object at 30 km/s?

Hi, AbsoluteZer0. Not sure if I understand your question about light being of less mass than another mass. However, yes. If an object goes really fast, its mass will increase. But light will always be lighter than any particle [pun intended] because it is a wave (Provable by diffraction, polarization, and Young's double slit experiment).

I was wondering myself, if the measurements for the neutrino are accurate, couldn't that suggest that light actually does have mass and there is an even faster speed than what we know? Just wondering.

AbsoluteZer0 said:
I heard that when an object increases in speed, it's mass increases. Is this true?

Yes: m = mo/√(1 - v2/c2).

It gets more difficult to push ("heavier"), so that an infinite amount of pushing still won't get it quite up to the speed of light.
… does that mean that when light increases in speed …

It doesn't.

Light always goes at exactly the speed of light (the clue's in the name! :wink:).

(even in glass or water, light still goes at the same speed: it just gets delayed by a funny quantum effect)

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, also known as c.

2. How was the speed of light discovered?

The speed of light was first measured by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676 using observations of the moons of Jupiter. Later, it was further refined and confirmed by experiments conducted by scientists such as James Clerk Maxwell and Albert Michelson.

3. What enables light to travel at such high speeds?

Light is made up of particles called photons that travel in waves. These waves have a constant speed because of the fundamental properties of space and time, as described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and the amount of energy needed to accelerate it further becomes infinite, making it impossible to exceed the speed of light.

5. How does the speed of light affect our daily lives?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives. It allows us to see objects and colors, powers our electronic devices, and forms the basis of modern communication and transportation systems, such as fiber optics and satellites.