What equations can I use to find the tension in this cable? Transverse pulse ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
riseofphoenix
Messages
294
Reaction score
2
What equations can I use to find the tension in this cable?? "Transverse pulse"??

Number35.png


I know I'm given the following but I have no idea what equation to use...does anyone know?

Mass: m = 0.180 kg
Length: L = 4.20 m
μ = mass (m) / unit length of cord (L)​
Time for 4 trips down and back: 0.845 s
Tension: T = ? N

1) Equation to use: v = √(T/μ)

2) First find v and μ

v = distance/time
v = 2(4 trips)/0.845 s
v = 8/0.845
v = 9.467
valong the cord = 9.467(L)
valong the cord = 9.467(4.20 m)
valong the cord = 9.467(4.20 m)
valong the cord = 39.76331361 m/s

μ = m/L
μ = (0.180 kg)/(4.20 m)
μ = 0.042857

3) Plug everything in equation v = √(T/μ) and solve for T

(v)2 = [√(T/μ)]2
v2 = T/μ
μv2 = T
0.042857(39.763313612) = T
0.042857(1581.121109) = T
67.76210738 = T
67.8 N = T

Did I have the equations right??
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org