1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exaclty is a differential operator?

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have fallen behind on my Numerical Methods course and am starting to fail it. I need to know how to make a differential approximation and I'm reading through the materials but I have too little time and it doesn't even explain what a differential operator is. At first it is referred to as "L". It apparently forms a linear combination with the given function v. And L*v is apparently the sum of all pattern in a given lattice (I'm sorry if my English terminology is off). So anyway, later there is a "difference operator v[itex]x\bar{x}[/itex][itex]x\bar{x}[/itex]". Is that supposed to be the same as L, just in some special case?

2. Relevant equations
    Can't think of anything else.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm sorry, but there isn't one as I am very tired and have little time or energy to spare for this problem right now, mostly because I don't even know what is going on.

Can anybody enlighten me? I know genereally what a derviative is - it's a rate in how fast a function changes. But this - not really a whole lot to go on.

Edit: nah it's ok I'm moving forward a little, I got a little panicked. A little messed up living in the dorms and all. Mods may delete this thread. I dunno if I can but it looks like I can't

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider this differential equation: P y'' + Q y' = 0.

The L = P d^2/dx^2 + Q d/dx is the corresponding differential operator.

All that is missing is the function y. Then L y = 0 is shorthand for that differential equation.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_operator

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted