What exaclty is a differential operator?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with their Numerical Methods course and is seeking help understanding differential approximation and operators. The student is confused about the terminology and notation used, such as "L" and "difference operator vx\bar{x}x\bar{x}". However, they have a general understanding of derivatives and are making progress with the problem. The conversation also mentions a differential equation and the corresponding differential operator, L. Overall, the student is seeking clarification and assistance in understanding these concepts.
Thorra

Homework Statement

I have fallen behind on my Numerical Methods course and am starting to fail it. I need to know how to make a differential approximation and I'm reading through the materials but I have too little time and it doesn't even explain what a differential operator is. At first it is referred to as "L". It apparently forms a linear combination with the given function v. And L*v is apparently the sum of all pattern in a given lattice (I'm sorry if my English terminology is off). So anyway, later there is a "difference operator v[itex]x\bar{x}[/itex][itex]x\bar{x}[/itex]". Is that supposed to be the same as L, just in some special case?

Homework Equations

Can't think of anything else.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry, but there isn't one as I am very tired and have little time or energy to spare for this problem right now, mostly because I don't even know what is going on.Can anybody enlighten me? I know genereally what a derviative is - it's a rate in how fast a function changes. But this - not really a whole lot to go on.Edit: nah it's ok I'm moving forward a little, I got a little panicked. A little messed up living in the dorms and all. Mods may delete this thread. I don't know if I can but it looks like I can't

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider this differential equation: P y'' + Q y' = 0.

The L = P d^2/dx^2 + Q d/dx is the corresponding differential operator.

All that is missing is the function y. Then L y = 0 is shorthand for that differential equation.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_operator

1. What is a differential operator?

A differential operator is a mathematical operator used in differential equations to express the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It takes in a function as input and produces another function as output.

2. How is a differential operator different from a regular operator?

A regular operator operates on variables or constants, while a differential operator operates on functions and their derivatives. It is essentially a function of functions.

3. What are some common examples of differential operators?

Some common examples of differential operators include the derivative operator, partial derivative operator, Laplace operator, and gradient operator. These operators are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. What is the purpose of using differential operators?

The purpose of using differential operators is to solve differential equations, which are mathematical equations that involve derivatives of an unknown function. These equations are used to model various physical and natural phenomena.

5. Are there any rules or properties associated with differential operators?

Yes, there are several rules and properties associated with differential operators, such as the product rule, chain rule, and linearity. These rules help simplify the process of solving differential equations and make them more manageable.