Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly constitutes as an exact value?

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post in, but since it relates to calculus and this is more of a general concept than a single problem I figured here would be fine.

On a recent exam we were given a region bounded by a simple curve generated from a function that was bounded from the y-axis to a constant. We were asked to find the exact perimeter of the region. Solving the problem involved solving for the curve and the other two linear sides. Now for the curve I understand you do the integral of the square root of the derivative plus one. I did that, but when I evaluated on the calculator it came out to a very long irrational number. I felt that including a certain number of decimals would be an approximation, not an exact number. So I left it as the value of the other two sides plus the integral. The answer they wanted was anything with at least three decimals. I was not given points as my teacher felt that I did not properly evaluate the problem. Who is the right here?
    Sorry if I'm being vague. We are asked not to post the problems/solutions so I was doing my best to be clear without actually giving the problem.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess: there is a closed form expression (what you put into the calcuator) and that is what was asked for.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you were give [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] and asked to find the circumference, "[itex]4\pi[/itex] would be an "exact" answer. "12.566370614359172953850573533118" would not be.

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4
    Okay, thank you to both of you. The answer could not be written out, so I still think I was correct in the notation I used. That being said, I don't make the decisions so I'll just have to live with things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook