What forces act upon this system and where?

In summary, a 10 kg board 1 meter long rests on a table with 0.3 meters extending beyond the edge. There are two forces acting on the board: the normal force from the table and the weight of the board. The board is in equilibrium when 5 kg of board mass is located on either side of the center of gravity. When a 3 kg box is placed on the overhanging portion of the board, the box will cause the board to fall at a distance of 0.2 meters from the edge of the table.
nickdwaters
Given the following description: A 10 kg board 1 meter long rests on a table with 0.3 meters extending beyond the edge. I expect two forces: The normal force on the board from the table, and the weight of the board upon the table. The board is in equilibrium.

I think these forces occur at the center of gravity which is -0.2 meters from the edge of the table (in the middle of the board at 0.5 m). Assuming even weight distribution within the board, I expect 5 kg of board mass to occur on either side of the center of gravity.

Continuing with the description, a 3 kg box is placed on the overhanging portion of the board. At what distance from the edge of the table will the box cause the board to fall?

This is where I get confused. The pivot point will be the edge of the table. But the center of gravity is at -0.2 m from it. Is a normal force present at the pivot point? Do I calculate a separate center of gravity for the portion of the board not in contact with the table?

I've been staring at this problem for hours and reading the text and notes. There is something fundamental I do not understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also look at the possibilities of rotation.

nickdwaters said:
Given the following description: A 10 kg board 1 meter long rests on a table with 0.3 meters extending beyond the edge. I expect two forces: The normal force on the board from the table, and the weight of the board upon the table. The board is in equilibrium.
yes
I think the resultant of these forces occur at the center of gravity which is -0.2 meters from the edge of the table (in the middle of the board at 0.5 m).
OK.
Assuming even weight distribution within the board, I expect 5 kg of board mass to occur on either side of the center of gravity.
yes
Continuing with the description, a 3 kg box is placed on the overhanging portion of the board. At what distance from the edge of the table will the box cause the board to fall?

This is where I get confused. The pivot point will be the edge of the table. But the center of gravity is at -0.2 m from it.
yes
Is a normal force present at the pivot point?
yes
Do I calculate a separate center of gravity for the portion of the board not in contact with the table?
Not necessary. When the board is about to tip, all the normal force occurs at the pivot point at the edge of the table, because the entire rest of the board is about to lose complete contact with it. Try summing moments about that pivot point.
I've been staring at this problem for hours and reading the text and notes. There is something fundamental I do not understand.
At the tipover point, the normal force occurs at the pivot.
Note: You have good communication skills.:approve:

What forces act upon this system and where?

This is a common question asked by scientists when studying a system, whether it be a physical object or a biological process. The following are the five most frequently asked questions about forces acting upon a system and their corresponding answers.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate or change its state of motion. Forces can be described by their magnitude (strength) and direction.

2. How do forces act upon a system?

Forces can act upon a system through direct contact, such as a person pushing a box, or through non-contact forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces.

3. What are the types of forces that can act upon a system?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces can act upon a system in various ways, depending on the objects and their properties.

4. Where can forces be found in a system?

Forces can be found in all systems, whether they are at rest or in motion. They can act between objects within a system, or between a system and its surroundings.

5. How can forces be quantified and measured?

Forces can be quantified using the SI unit of measurement known as Newtons (N). They can be measured using various instruments such as force gauges, spring scales, and strain gauges.