I What happens to an electron's frequency during absorption of a photon?

• Thread starter Iceking20
  • Start date
Summary
How does electron frequency and photon frequency interact with each other when they collapse together?
The point that I want to know is how two frequencys react with each other and does electron's frequency wait to reach to higher frequency on that fraction of second when they(photo's frequency and electron's frequency)collapse to each other than go to higher energy level or what?

vanhees71

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have no clue what you mean by "frequencies" interacting. An electron and a photon can interact, but how can frequencies interact? Which frequencies are you talking about?

Frequencies:Electrons have specific frequency in all energy level and also photons have frequency,so that what happen when these frequencies reach to each other?(in absorption)

Electrons have specific frequency in all energy level and also photons have frequency,so that what happen when these frequencies reach to each other?(in absorption)
Nothing like "frequencies reach to each other" happens during the process of an electron absorbing a photon. So you are asking about something that doesn't exist.

Nugatory

Mentor
The way quantum mechanics works, we start with a single quantum system whose state is "a photon, an electron, and some other stuff" at time ##t_1##. At some later time ##t_2## the state of the system is "an electron and more or less the same other stuff". We will say that "the photon was absorbed" but that's just a way of saying that the system was in one state before and is in another state now; there are no in-between states so no sensible way of talking about things that happen during the transition.

You may be wondering why there is "some other stuff" in the quantum state. That's because an isolated electron can neither absorb nor emit a photon (don't take my word for it! Try it! Calculate the energy and momentum of a system whose state is "a photon and an electron", then see if there can be any state "an electron" with the same energy and momentum; if not the absorbtion cannot happen because it would violate one or both of conservation of energy and momentum).