Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to the electron neutrino post beta+ decay?

Tags:
  1. May 18, 2013 #1
    In β+ decay a proton releases a positron and an electron neutrino causing the proton to change into a neutron to help balance the nucleus. I am studying advanced PET imaging and trying find a better understanding of the positrons other half. Does it just go on being a normal electron.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    By "positron's other half" you mean the electron-neutrino?
    You are asking: "Does [an electron neutrino] just go on being a normal electron?"

JIC: A neutrino is not an electron.
    Therefore it cannot go on being a normal electron as it was never an electron of any kind whatsoever.
    But I'm sure you realized that ;)

Like any particle, a neutrino will continue as itself until it has some sort of interaction.
    Neutrinos interact very weakly so they can get a very long way before something happens to them - though neutrinos can decay into each other.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino#Oscillation

4. May 19, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think "decay" is misleading here - oscillation means that those neutrinos can (but do not have to) interact as a different neutrino species (muon neutrino or tau neutrino) afterwards. It is not a permanent transformation as in a decay, and no other particles are emitted.

There is no reasonable way to detect the neutrinos emitted in a PET scan, as interactions of them are extremely rare.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook