What happens when two EM waves collide on matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of two electromagnetic waves with the same frequency adding together to become ionizing via superposition on the same electron or atom. The concept of E=hf is mentioned, as well as the idea of up to ~20 photons being used to ionize a particle. The conversation also touches on the use of high-intensity lasers and two-photon microscopy for this purpose. The question of whether dipole moments are caused by the electric or magnetic part of an EM wave is also brought up.
toneboy1
I was wondering, if two EM waves of the same freq could add via superposition ON THE SAME ELECTRON or atom (at the same time) to become ionizing? For argument's sake say if each wave was just below UV

I remember E = hf, which would indicate no, I don't see how the energy would not add (thinking of mechanical waves).

THANKS!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:

That is a fantastic resource, but I'll be honest, a lot of it I couldn't follow through completely.
In layman's terms. From what I could gather, they do both impart energy on a (for instance) electron but not equal to the sum of both?
So two high frequency waves could not add to become Ionising (??)

Thanks!

With high-intensity lasers, it is possible to do this - something like up to ~20 photons can be used to ionize a particle. Unfortunately, I do not remember the speaker of the talk where I heard about that, so I cannot give you a reference here. However, two-photon microscopy uses the same idea with 2 photons.

mfb said:
With high-intensity lasers, it is possible to do this - something like up to ~20 photons can be used to ionize a particle. Unfortunately, I do not remember the speaker of the talk where I heard about that, so I cannot give you a reference here. However, two-photon microscopy uses the same idea with 2 photons.

Interesting article. I had in mind two random EM waves coming together by chance but I suppose that would almost be impossibly unlikely. Moreover as to become ionising you would need like "20 photons".

By chance, do you happen to know if things like dipole moments are caused by the B part of an EM wave, or just the E half (portion) of the wave?

Two photons from different beams would be possible, too, just more difficult to achieve.

By chance, do you happen to know if things like dipole moments are caused by the B part of an EM wave, or just the E half (portion) of the wave?
Induced electric dipole moments? Induced magnetic dipole moments? ;)

mfb said:
Two photons from different beams would be possible, too, just more difficult to achieve.

Induced electric dipole moments? Induced magnetic dipole moments? ;)

Quite so.

1. What is the effect of two EM waves colliding on matter?

When two EM waves collide on matter, they can either cancel each other out or reinforce each other, depending on their amplitudes and frequencies. This phenomenon is known as interference.

2. Can the collision of EM waves cause any physical changes in matter?

Yes, the collision of EM waves with matter can cause physical changes such as heating, ionization, or emission of electrons. These changes occur due to the transfer of energy from the EM waves to the matter.

3. How does the nature of matter affect the collision of EM waves?

The nature of matter, specifically its composition and density, can affect the collision of EM waves. Different materials may have different reflectivity, absorbance, and scattering properties, which can alter the behavior of the EM waves when they collide with the matter.

4. Is there a difference between the collision of EM waves on solid, liquid, and gaseous matter?

Yes, there are differences in the collision of EM waves on solid, liquid, and gaseous matter. For example, in solids, the EM waves may cause vibrations in the material's atomic lattice, while in gases, they may cause the molecules to rotate or translate.

5. How do EM waves interact with matter on a microscopic level?

On a microscopic level, EM waves interact with matter through the exchange of energy between the EM fields and the charged particles in the matter. This interaction can result in various effects, such as absorption, reflection, and refraction.