What happens when you solve for c?

• B
  • Thread starter Joshua514
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation E=mc^2 and solving for the variable C. It is explained that the negative root does not have any physical significance and is simply a result of flipping sign conventions. It is also mentioned that light is not matter and cannot be associated with dark matter or dark energy. The conversation then delves into personal theories and interpretations.
Joshua514
In E=mc^2
If you solved for C
you would get c = the plus & minus square root of E divided by M
c = √E/m , -√E/m ?

My question is what would the negative constant be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Joshua514 said:
My question is what would the negative constant be?
Nothing, speeds (such as c) are magnitudes and thus always positive.

Look here for a nicely understandable derivation.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/significance-e-mc-2-means/

I don't see any physical significance to the negative root from the above derivation.

I think we're missing half of the equation here, if light is matter than theoretically if negative magnitudes existed wouldn't that be dark matter?

Joshua514 said:
if light is matter
Light is electromagnetic radiation. Even though light is sometimes described using photons, you should not be thinking of light as little balls of material.
Joshua514 said:
if negative magnitudes existed
The problem is that they don't.

Likes vanhees71
I'd generally interpret the sign of a velocity as being it's direction. Speed is defined as the magnitude of the velocity, so it has no sigh as others have mentioned. In terms of velocity, which can have a sign, +c is an object moving to the right, -c is an object moving to the left. Or vica versa, depending on how you chose your coordinates.

Joshua514 said:
I think we're missing half of the equation here, if light is matter than theoretically if negative magnitudes existed wouldn't that be dark matter?
Do you have any scientific reference which associates dark matter with -c? I strongly doubt it.

I think negative c in this context just means you've flipped a sign convention or two, doesn't it? At least if you are going to be consistent, you should argue that the modulus of the four-velocity be ##(-c)^2## too, which implies that you've flipped the sign on your time coordinate, I think.

In other words you need to glue a minus sign to the displays of all your clocks. That's all. It doesn't actually make any difference to anything.

Joshua514 said:
if light is matter
that's what devalues everything coming after it... (that if evaluates to "FALSE" so someone wouldn't have to keep reading)
Light is not matter, and it doesn't follow the same equation of state. As a result it can't be associated with DM or DE.

Joshua514 said:
I think we're missing half of the equation here
Not really, we don't.
First of all, [itex]E = mc^2[/itex] is only true for massive particles that can't travel at the speed of light. The speed of light in this case is just a conventional constant (a natural choice) that makes the units right. This equation can also be seen as [itex]E= m[/itex] given that masses are given in units of energy... and a more complete equation is [itex]E^2=m^2-p^2[/itex] as in your case [itex]m[/itex] is the relativistic mass (an outdated quantity) or the rest mass (if the massive object is at rest; so in a special reference frame).

Likes stoomart
Joshua514 said:
In E=mc^2
If you solved for C
you would get c = the plus & minus square root of E divided by M

If you solved ##A=\pi r^2## for ##r## you'd get ##\pm \sqrt{\frac{A}{\pi}}##.

Does that mean you could have a circle with a negative radius?

Likes PAllen, vela and NFuller
When you take the square root of a positive number, you have two possible solutions that you need to consider. That does not mean that they both make sense. You need to consider each possibility and see if one or both could be a valid answer. In this case, the negative answer does not make physical sense.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Joshua514 said:

ANd now we are in personal theory land.

Likes FactChecker and vanhees71

1. What is the meaning of "solving for c"?

When solving for c, we are finding the value of the variable c in an equation or problem. This is typically done by manipulating the equation or using algebraic methods.

2. Why is it important to solve for c?

Solving for c is important because it allows us to find the missing variable in an equation or problem. This is crucial in many scientific and mathematical applications, as it helps us understand and predict relationships between different variables.

3. What are the steps for solving for c?

The steps for solving for c will vary depending on the specific equation or problem. However, some general steps may include isolating c on one side of the equation, using algebraic operations to manipulate the equation, and then solving for c using basic arithmetic.

4. Can you provide an example of solving for c?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 2c + 4 = 10. We can solve for c by first subtracting 4 from both sides to isolate the c term: 2c = 6. Then, we can divide both sides by 2 to get c = 3. So in this case, c = 3 is the solution when we solve for c.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for c?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving for c include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, incorrectly applying algebraic rules or formulas, and making simple arithmetic errors. It is important to double check your work to ensure the correct solution is found.