Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What has been the most important lesson(s) you have learned in your life?

1. May 15, 2006 #1
    Everyday I try to do some changes in order to have a better life. I would like to know what has been the most important lesson(s) that pf members have learned throught their lifes.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

No matter how drunk you are, never piss on an electric fence.

4. May 15, 2006 #3
    try to study the night b4 the test when you are drunk may just work!!

actually that is not true at all. I failed my test.

5. May 15, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Results are usually a direct measure of effort.

6. May 15, 2006 #5
    That is very true. It always follows the general law, results*effort=constant.

7. May 15, 2006 #6
    Always listen to your parents. Not for everyone, but mine were usually always correct.

8. May 15, 2006 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:uhh: Erm, that would make results inversely proportional to effort.

Enough courage to face the difficult issues in life. Enough fear of the difficult issues in life to make sure you know what you're doing before you face them.

Edit: Oh, and to echo Candyman, always listen to your parents. They're usually right. (This is something that seems to have developed only over the last twenty years - perhaps humans are evolving faster than we think? :uhh:)

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  9. May 15, 2006 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps Results = f(Effort).

10. May 15, 2006 #9
    Perhaps Results = f(Effort)
    (Perhaps Results)/Effort = f
    Results/Effort = f
    Results/Effort = time?
    dunno. (yeah, what is f?)
    Astronuc, help solve the equation :)

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  11. May 15, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

If you get out of bed in the morning, you have to do some thing.

12. May 15, 2006 #11
    To not decide is to decide.

13. May 15, 2006 #12
    Don't let people push you around, ever.

And what Ivan said too.

14. May 15, 2006 #13

:rofl: :rofl:

You don't believe in things because they're true. You believe in things because for you they are worth believing in. That is the nature of belief.

15. May 15, 2006 #14
    Your problems are your own. Don't expect anyone to help you solve them. If someone DOES help you, make sure and show your gratitude and be sincere about it.

Eat crow when it's warm.

Be mindful of what you say and do. The guy I... I mean someone yelled at for taking his time crossing the street as you screech into the parking lot because you are late for class might be next semesters Calc2 Prof.:redface:

16. May 15, 2006 #15

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A big downside of belief is that it involves being blindsided to some extent, which can be detrimental. Especially on a smaller scale (not for example, the issue of the existence of God). People who have truly learned the lesson of life should be familiar with this lesson. That is belief is ultimately dangerous, but it is necessary to live, to have a purpose of some sort (however, short lived).

As for the "bigger scale aspect" of belief, make sure that it's not infatuation.

17. May 15, 2006 #16

Evo

To trust my instincts and not be pressured into doing something I know I'm not ready for. Just learned that lesson. :frown:

18. May 15, 2006 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are making a major decision, and a little voice is saying "no," listen to it.

Losing your temper means you "lost." Never berate anyone, no matter how "right" you are.

Take a healthy interest in other people's doings.

19. May 15, 2006 #18

Astronuc

Results = f(Effort) should be read 'Results equals (is) a function f of Effort", or "f maps effort into results". I am not up on the formalisms of mathematical language.

For me math is pretty much a tool which I use to grind the answer out of the data. :rofl:

20. May 15, 2006 #19
    f(Effort) = Results
    No matter how much effort you put, you're going to get results perhaps?
    Oh Astronuc, decipher this for me. I can't, with my dumb math skills.

21. May 15, 2006 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe yes, maybe no.

A person should at least know what things they believe in just out of faith and what things they believe in because of experience and logic. No matter how long you analyze some things, you wind up stuck on arguments based on personal values rather objective evidence. I think those are the type of things the author of the quote was referring to.

Of course, if a person believes in something just because they were trained to believe in it and can't remember ever not believing in it, then there are some rather obvious pitfalls. People can ignore some pretty obvious evidence for those types of beliefs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?