What has happened to gender separation?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separation
In summary, the author is noting that women used to make themselves up more, but now they don't and it's causing some confusion. They also mention that styles constantly cycle and that there are now more masculine females.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have noticed that women don't seem to make them self's up so much as 20yrs ago, and they wear things like raggety jeans, i know i am going to get killed for this but i am being honest, some girls look like boys and some boys look like girls, what has happened to gender separation?

mod note: edited title

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just some girls. Not a significant decline in stock for me to worry.

The question in the title doesn't appear to me to match the question in the post.

Maybe they have more important things on their minds than your subjective notion of "pretty"?

Likes Ryan_m_b, Boolean Boogey, slider142 and 2 others
wolram, I don't know how things are in England (your profile states that you live from Warwickshire, UK) , but at least here in Toronto, I have not especially noticed any such trend among younger women, except among a relatively small subgroup.

And perhaps as Ben Niehoff suggested, the younger women you've encountered may have other priorities apart from looking "pretty".

wolram said:
what has happened to gender separation?
Youth always rebel against the previous generation. Old customs of conformity and gender roles are ripe for breaking.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Once you remove the clothes, the differences are the same you remember.

Just most hair is gone.

Likes Drakkith, nuuskur and S.G. Janssens
wolram said:
I have noticed that women don't seem to make them self's up so much as 20yrs ago, and they wear things like raggety jeans, i know i am going to get killed for this but i am being honest, some girls look like boys and some boys look like girls, what has happened to gender separation?
Styles constantly cycle. Raggedy jeans have been in and out a few times in my lifetime, and the hippie days of the 60's were anti-make-up days for women. And speaking of hippie days, there were constant complaints that the long hair on men got them mistaken for women. There always seems to be some odd trend that's disturbing. The goth movement was big around here, and it had a definite unhealthy glow about it. But it's all but gone now. Fashion seems to be a perfect embodiment of "This, too, shall pass."

Likes Enigman
Greg Bernhardt said:
Old customs of conformity and gender roles are ripe for breaking.
I like men to look and act like men and women to look and act like women. Of course, at the end it's up to the individual alone, but every now and then when I see a woman that looks and behaves like a truck driver, I think: "What a pity!".

Borek said:
Once you remove the clothes, the differences are the same you remember.
This...

I'm having trouble assimilating this statement.
JrLCS2U.jpg

Likes Jeff Rosenbury and Enigman
Krylov said:
I like men to look and act like men and women to look and act like women. Of course, at the end it's up to the individual alone, but every now and then when I see a woman that looks and behaves like a truck driver, I think: "What a pity!".

It is like this in my area, i would not say they looked like truck drivers but more like down and outs, it seems like the days are gone when one could say one out of twenty women, look nicely dressed and had naturally looking hair instead of having purple or orange hair and rings in their noses

Krylov said:
truck driver, I think: "What a pity!".
What is wrong with being a truck driver? :biggrin:

Likes e.bar.goum
wolram said:
It is like this in my area, i would not say they looked like truck drivers but more like down and outs, it seems like the days are gone when one could say one out of twenty women, look nicely dressed and had naturally looking hair instead of having purple or orange hair and rings in their noses
These are just your personal definitions for beauty. Some think orange hair and a nose ring is beautiful. In any case, how about you get to know them instead of objectifying them? You may find once you get to know them you don't care what color their hair is. We're all dead in a 100 years, what difference does it make?

Likes Ryan_m_b, verschrankung, slider142 and 6 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
What is wrong with being a truck driver? :biggrin:
Nothing, especially not on long American highways. I just like it so much when women look... feminine, and (at least in Europe) most truck drivers don't look very feminine to me.
Greg Bernhardt said:
We're all dead in a 100 years, what difference does it make?
That's just pure speculation. :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Krylov said:
Nothing, especially not on long American highways. I just like it so much when women look... feminine, and (at least in Europe) most truck drivers don't look very feminine to me.

Yes and there are still plenty of feminine females. The men who like masculine females need some to choose from too you know :smile:

Likes S.G. Janssens
I think it may have to see with the fact that according to the radical women's movement
the behavioral differences between men and women are all socially determined, which is
false if you notice the biological/physiological differences and the premise that form follows function.
Before anyone jumps on me, I mean I believe the two are different, neither is better nor worse.

Likes Sophia
Greg Bernhardt said:
These are just your personal definitions for beauty. Some think orange hair and a nose ring is beautiful. In any case, how about you get to know them instead of objectifying them? You may find once you get to know them you don't care what color their hair is. We're all dead in a 100 years, what difference does it make?

Get to know them:eek: they may eat me and as for only living 100 years i think i may surpass that:biggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
These are just your personal definitions for beauty. Some think orange hair and a nose ring is beautiful.
I don't think those kinds of alterations are about beauty at all, Greg. They are more social statements than anything else, and are often chosen especially because they are esthetically jarring. They are rebellious, challenging, counter-culture, non-conformist, all that stuff.
In any case, how about you get to know them instead of objectifying them? You may find once you get to know them you don't care what color their hair is.
People with orange hair want to you care about what color their hair is. They want an old foggey like Wolram to be put off and confused. There's always been a shock faction in every generation; people who do inexplicable things simply because they're inexplicable, off-putting.

Likes Sophia
zoobyshoe said:
I don't think those kinds of alterations are about beauty at all, Greg. They are more social statements than anything else, and are often chosen especially because they are esthetically jarring. They are rebellious, challenging, counter-culture, non-conformist, all that stuff.

People with orange hair want to you care about what color their hair is. They want an old foggey like Wolram to be put off and confused. There's always been a shock faction in every generation; people who do inexplicable things simply because they're inexplicable, off-putting.

Old foggey? gad it is pistols at dawn for you,:frown: and i will have you know if i dressed like some i would be taken to the salvation army for soup and tea:biggrin:.

A recent study conducted at Brunel University London has revealed that the opposite sex’s attraction to masculine men and feminine women is a modern occurrence in highly developed cultures and what men and women really desire is facial neutrality.1

PS: 1. Don't know if this source is trustworthy or not!
2.Sorry but the title is not as eye-catching as the previous 1!

Likes S.G. Janssens
Lisa! said:
A recent study conducted at Brunel University London has revealed that the opposite sex’s attraction to masculine men and feminine women is a modern occurrence in highly developed cultures and what men and women really desire is facial neutrality.1
Thank you so much! I'm modern and highly developed :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Youth always rebel against the previous generation. Old customs of conformity and gender roles are ripe for breaking.
Thank god.
Yesterday, I discovered that the year I was born, only 4% of Americans were in favor mixed race marriages.
And it wouldn't be until I was 8 years old that laws against mixed race marriages would be ruled unconstitutional.
My response to this new found knowledge was; "People in the older days were stupid".
wolram said:
...what has happened to gender separation?
IMHO, to paraphrase Greg; "It's an old custom of conformity, and hopefully, on it's way out". ps. My above comments should not be construed, in any way, as approving of Greg in green hair. It was a good look for Borek, but not for Greg, IMHO.

pf.boss.in.green.hair.Nov.30.2013.jpg

Likes CalcNerd, Drakkith, Sophia and 3 others
OmCheeto said:
Thank god.
Yesterday, I discovered that the year I was born, only 4% of Americans were in favor mixed race marriages.
And it wouldn't be until I was 8 years old that laws against mixed race marriages would be ruled unconstitutional.
My response to this new found knowledge was; "People in the older days were stupid".
IMHO, to paraphrase Greg; "It's an old custom of conformity, and hopefully, on it's way out".ps. My above comments should not be construed, in any way, as approving of Greg in green hair. It was a good look for Borek, but not for Greg, IMHO.

We were all young once: EDIT: Green hair looks good on everyone.
IMG_7370.JPG

Likes CalcNerd and Greg Bernhardt
zoobyshoe said:
... They are rebellious, challenging, counter-culture, non-conformist, all that stuff. ...

Ah! The poor babies haven't drunk the correct flavor of Cool-Aid yet. But they will. Then they will fall inline, stop questioning authority, develop a taste for a more mainstream stream of mindless commercially driven pop culture and walk in step with all the rest of the lemmings. That will make them very attractive to real men I'm sure.

Just my two cents.

einswine said:
Ah! The poor babies haven't drunk the correct flavor of Cool-Aid yet. But they will. Then they will fall inline, stop questioning authority, develop a taste for a more mainstream stream of mindless commercially driven pop culture and walk in step with all the rest of the lemmings. That will make them very attractive to real men I'm sure.

Just my two cents.
For some reason you took me as condemning or criticizing them, when my only point was that that kind of look is not about beauty.

einswine said:

Just my two cents.
Specially so in a difficult economy. In the humming post-war economy of the 60's, people could afford to turn on, tune in, drop out and then join the workforce: a worker's economy, in contrast to today's employer's economy, where those looking for work must play it safe with exceptions for those who can get "alternative" jobs or are independently wealthy. I do wonder about the lives of people I see walking around on workdays, wearing t-shirts that read f*** everyone. Do these people have a job? What job would allow them to even be seen wearing such a t-shirt without getting them fired?

wolram said:

Social progress has happened. Social progress that means that people of any gender are free not only to dress in such a way that best expresses themselves. People of all genders can wear dresses, or suits, or jeans and chunky boots. Or not spend hundreds of dollars and hours and hours on makeup. Or, if they like, they can do that. Doesn't that freedom sound pretty great? Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't social repercussions for doing so, enforced by people with outdated, troglodyte views as the ones expressed in this thread, but we're getting there.

This is the same social change that means women can not only look like truck drivers, but can actually be truck drivers. Or you know physicists! *gasp* (And people wonder why there Physics Forums is a but more dude-ish than physics is in general. Could it be because of threads such as these?)

This might come as a surprise to you, but women don't exist for you to ogle.

Likes Ryan_m_b
e.bar.goum said:
Social progress has happened. Social progress that means that people of any gender are free not only to dress in such a way that best expresses themselves. People of all genders can wear dresses, or suits, or jeans and chunky boots. Or not spend hundreds of dollars and hours and hours on makeup. Or, if they like, they can do that. Doesn't that freedom sound pretty great? Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't social repercussions for doing so, enforced by people with outdated, troglodyte views as the ones expressed in this thread, but we're getting there.

This is the same social change that means women can not only look like truck drivers, but can actually be truck drivers. Or you know physicists! *gasp* (And people wonder why there Physics Forums is a but more dude-ish than physics is in general. Could it be because of threads such as these?)

I don't see what you are upset about, people expressed their personal views, without showing any attempt to force them on anyone else. I don't see why anyone would feel offended by this.

Likes S.G. Janssens
WWGD said:
I don't see what you are upset about, people expressed their personal views, without showing any attempt to force them on anyone else. I don't see why anyone would feel offended by this.
Who says I'm upset?

e.bar.goum said:
Who says I'm upset?
Your sarcasm, accusations?

WWGD said:
Your sarcasm, accusations?

Hey, just expressing my personal views without showing any attempt to force them on anyone else.

e.bar.goum said:
Hey, just expressing my personal views without showing any attempt to force them on anyone else.

Yes, while referring to those who disagree with you as troglodytes, sure sign of neutral stance. Hey, in the feminist playbook, the best I can aim for is being " one of the good ones".

WWGD said:
Yes, while referring to those who disagree with you as troglodytes, sure sign of neutral stance.

It's just such a nice word. Also, I never said my stance was neutral, just like the other "personal views" on this thread are not neutral.

e.bar.goum said:
<Snip>

This might come to you as a surprise, but in many states today, a man must support a child, even after having DNA proof that the child is not his. Want to star airing grievances? Let's have them from both sides.

WWGD said:
This might come to you as a surprise, but in many states today, a man must support a child, even after having DNA proof that the child is not his. Want to star airing grievances? Let's have them from both sides.
I'm sorry, that seems a bit out of left field to what the topic of this thread is about, which is how men and women are now more free to express their gender identities in ways that were previously not permitted by society. I suspect going down that route would be rather off-topic.

<h2>1. What is gender separation?</h2><p>Gender separation refers to the segregation of individuals based on their gender, typically in public spaces such as schools, workplaces, and public transportation.</p><h2>2. Why was gender separation implemented in the past?</h2><p>Gender separation was often implemented in the past due to societal norms and beliefs that men and women should be kept separate in order to maintain traditional gender roles and preserve morality.</p><h2>3. What has happened to gender separation in modern times?</h2><p>In modern times, there has been a shift away from gender separation as societies have become more progressive and inclusive. Many countries have implemented laws and policies to promote gender equality and discourage gender segregation.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to gender separation?</h2><p>Some argue that gender separation can provide a sense of privacy and safety for individuals, particularly in places like public restrooms and changing rooms. However, these benefits are often outweighed by the negative impacts of gender segregation on gender equality and inclusivity.</p><h2>5. What are the potential consequences of gender separation?</h2><p>Gender separation can lead to discrimination, unequal opportunities, and reinforcement of harmful gender stereotypes. It can also limit individuals' experiences and interactions with people of different genders, hindering social and personal development.</p>

1. What is gender separation?

Gender separation refers to the segregation of individuals based on their gender, typically in public spaces such as schools, workplaces, and public transportation.

2. Why was gender separation implemented in the past?

Gender separation was often implemented in the past due to societal norms and beliefs that men and women should be kept separate in order to maintain traditional gender roles and preserve morality.

3. What has happened to gender separation in modern times?

In modern times, there has been a shift away from gender separation as societies have become more progressive and inclusive. Many countries have implemented laws and policies to promote gender equality and discourage gender segregation.

4. Are there any benefits to gender separation?

Some argue that gender separation can provide a sense of privacy and safety for individuals, particularly in places like public restrooms and changing rooms. However, these benefits are often outweighed by the negative impacts of gender segregation on gender equality and inclusivity.

5. What are the potential consequences of gender separation?

Gender separation can lead to discrimination, unequal opportunities, and reinforcement of harmful gender stereotypes. It can also limit individuals' experiences and interactions with people of different genders, hindering social and personal development.