Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What has happened to gender separation?

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have noticed that women don't seem to make them self's up so much as 20yrs ago, and they wear things like raggety jeans, i know i am going to get killed for this but i am being honest, some girls look like boys and some boys look like girls, what has happened to gender separation?

mod note: edited title

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2
    Just some girls. Not a significant decline in stock for me to worry.

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The question in the title doesn't appear to me to match the question in the post.

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe they have more important things on their minds than your subjective notion of "pretty"?

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

wolram, I don't know how things are in England (your profile states that you live from Warwickshire, UK) , but at least here in Toronto, I have not especially noticed any such trend among younger women, except among a relatively small subgroup.

And perhaps as Ben Niehoff suggested, the younger women you've encountered may have other priorities apart from looking "pretty".

7. Jan 24, 2016 #6
    Youth always rebel against the previous generation. Old customs of conformity and gender roles are ripe for breaking.

8. Jan 24, 2016 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Once you remove the clothes, the differences are the same you remember.

Just most hair is gone.

9. Jan 24, 2016 #8
    Styles constantly cycle. Raggedy jeans have been in and out a few times in my lifetime, and the hippie days of the 60's were anti-make-up days for women. And speaking of hippie days, there were constant complaints that the long hair on men got them mistaken for women. There always seems to be some odd trend that's disturbing. The goth movement was big around here, and it had a definite unhealthy glow about it. But it's all but gone now. Fashion seems to be a perfect embodiment of "This, too, shall pass."

10. Jan 24, 2016 #9

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I like men to look and act like men and women to look and act like women. Of course, at the end it's up to the individual alone, but every now and then when I see a woman that looks and behaves like a truck driver, I think: "What a pity!".

11. Jan 24, 2016 #10
    This...

I'm having trouble assimilating this statement.
    JrLCS2U.jpg

12. Jan 24, 2016 #11

wolram

Gold Member

It is like this in my area, i would not say they looked like truck drivers but more like down and outs, it seems like the days are gone when one could say one out of twenty women, look nicely dressed and had naturally looking hair instead of having purple or orange hair and rings in their noses

13. Jan 24, 2016 #12
    What is wrong with being a truck driver? :biggrin:

14. Jan 24, 2016 #13
    These are just your personal definitions for beauty. Some think orange hair and a nose ring is beautiful. In any case, how about you get to know them instead of objectifying them? You may find once you get to know them you don't care what color their hair is. We're all dead in a 100 years, what difference does it make?

15. Jan 24, 2016 #14

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nothing, especially not on long American highways. I just like it so much when women look... feminine, and (at least in Europe) most truck drivers don't look very feminine to me.
    That's just pure speculation. :smile:

16. Jan 24, 2016 #15
    Yes and there are still plenty of feminine females. The men who like masculine females need some to choose from too ya know :smile:

17. Jan 24, 2016 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it may have to see with the fact that according to the radical women's movement
    the behavioral differences between men and women are all socially determined, which is
    false if you notice the biological/physiological differences and the premise that form follows function.
    Before anyone jumps on me, I mean I believe the two are different, neither is better nor worse.

18. Jan 24, 2016 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Get to know them:eek: they may eat me and as for only living 100 years i think i may surpass that:biggrin:

19. Jan 24, 2016 #18
    I don't think those kinds of alterations are about beauty at all, Greg. They are more social statements than anything else, and are often chosen especially because they are esthetically jarring. They are rebellious, challenging, counter-culture, non-conformist, all that stuff.
    People with orange hair want to you care about what color their hair is. They want an old foggey like Wolram to be put off and confused. There's always been a shock faction in every generation; people who do inexplicable things simply because they're inexplicable, off-putting.

20. Jan 24, 2016 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Old foggey? gad it is pistols at dawn for you,:frown: and i will have you know if i dressed like some i would be taken to the salvation army for soup and tea:biggrin:.

21. Jan 24, 2016 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

A recent study conducted at Brunel University London has revealed that the opposite sex’s attraction to masculine men and feminine women is a modern occurrence in highly developed cultures and what men and women really desire is facial neutrality.1

PS: 1. Don't know if this source is trustworthy or not!
    2.Sorry but the title is not as eye-catching as the previous 1!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook