What hath Newton wrought in the two centuries after his death?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter chaszz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Death Newton
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
chaszz
Messages
59
Reaction score
2
I know that Newton's work made possible the Industrial Revolution, but I don't know how. I understand his impact on subjects like astronomy, gravity, and predicting motion, but not on mechanics and industrial technology. The steam engine was the most important machine in the early Industrial Revolution. Would its invention have been impossible without Newton? If so, how did his work make it possible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that he had DIRECT contributions to the industrial revolution, it's that his contributions laid the foundation for science as we know it today, which itself led to the revolution in technology that we've seen.