What have you blown your money on?

• Thread starter Desiree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, the people who have blown the most money in the past year are those who have spent money on things that they later realized they shouldn't have. They also spent a lot of money on things that they didn't use, such as cigarettes and nightlife.
TubbaBlubba said:
I've developed a tendency as of late to buy video games and then not play them. Especially PC games.

Then again, I'm a video game elitist.

Holy crap! I do the same thing. I like just knowing I could play it if I wanted. Bizarrrre

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm tempted to blow a bit of money on upgrading my computer. Looking at about 600 dollars...

Should I?

Upgrade it how? Wait until a good game comes out before you upgrade imo. It's been soooo long I'v been waiting for some cool game to come out and it never happens. Like a good master of orion multiplayer would be ideal but they never make anything like it with anything but lan play.

Also the gaming industry is getting destroyed by all the bots people have now. You can't play a multiplayer game now without having opponents with hacks/bots it's awful :(

Last edited:
I still have the computer that I bought over 5 years ago. Until I get blazingly-fast broad-band (unlikely in the sticks) my PC is NOT the bottleneck. Servers at NASA, Cal-Tech, HyperLeda, etc are the hold-up (and my pokey DSL). I spent a little less than $20K on a Subaru Forester last year, but I don't consider that money "blown". Best vehicle ever for Maine's climate. Auto (perfect for my arthritic knees) full time symmetrical AWD with traction control and skid-correction. AC and a great satellite-ready radio/stereo system. Plenty of room and power, and it gets 27+ mpg. When GM makes a mid-sized SUV with those features and manages to sell it for $20K without import costs or duties, I might gain a bit of respect for them.

Monique said:
I so want to buy shoes, but I've been able to control myself :biggrin:

I'm not that lucky.

Plus, the other day... I got an awesome deal on a ring for myself. :biggrin:

I blow more money on yarn than I can keep up knitting with. That, and fabric, but my sewing machine moves pretty fast so it doesn't accumulate as quickly.

Pattonias said:
Holy crap! I do the same thing. I like just knowing I could play it if I wanted. Bizarrrre

It's not bizarre! What if you ever want to play them one day? You never know...

I wasted money by dropping a class at school.

I don't usually regret my financial purchases. I work hard and deserve to spend my money as I see fit. My husband works hard, and I deserve to spend his money as I see fit as well. ;)

Pattonias said:

I just bought a D2D copy of Deus Ex for like 10 dollars. Maybe I should try actually playing something this time.

wine, women, more wine, more women... mine has been a well-spent life

TubbaBlubba said:
I just bought a D2D copy of Deus Ex for like 10 dollars. Maybe I should try actually playing something this time.

I heard that was an awesome game. I have a few myself, for the ps3, I have yet to touch; Assassin's Creed, Heavy Rain, and GTA4. I also have Portal for PC, which is amazing, though I have only barely begun.

Kerrie said:
I blow more money on yarn than I can keep up knitting with. That, and fabric, but my sewing machine moves pretty fast so it doesn't accumulate as quickly.

I can relate to the yarn buying. I have quite a stash that I will never get through!